Thermometer help...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SterlingAcres, Jul 15, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Okay, so I ran out to Lowe's this morning and grabbed a cheap accurite thermometer/hydrometer. While I was looking at it, I noticed they had a nice digital read out one too, so I grabbed that as well (I didn't see them offered online). Now the bator's up and running again, but the humidity reading on both is 10% difference. What should I do? I don't know which one is accurate.... HELP I've got eggs coming today or tomorrow.

[​IMG] God... only me. I swear.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
  3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    hey oldtimegator that is great info. i've wondered about the dry incubation but hadn't found anything i really understand perfectly. i might try that next time.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Calabrating hydrometer-from Speckledhen.

1. You can calibrate a hydrometer by mixing in a bowl 1/2 cup of salt in 1/4 cup water. Actually a couple TBSP of salt moistened with water is enough.
    2.Place bowl inside a zip lock baggie with your hydrometer. After at least 8 hours, your hygrometer should read 75%.
    3. If it says, for example 80% you know that it is reading 5% to high and then you can make adjustments in your readings

To check thermometer accuracy:
    Eggseronious wrote: Get a quart of ice and crush it or use a blender make an ice water mix put the thermometer down in about 2 inches and sit for 4-5 minutes should read 32* degrees make sure its a thick slush of ice water.

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is really helpful!

My hyrgrometer/thermometer was off for several hours and I was freaking out. By morning it was reading fine.....

Not only you! At least you tried it out before you put your eggs in! I waited until day 4. [​IMG] I couldn't decide which one to get and kept procrastinating...... oy.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Well a few hours later and they're both reading within 1 degree of each other in temperature and humidity.
    Thanks FK for posting the calibrating directions again, I couldn't find it to save my life. [​IMG]
    horsegirl, I'm really bad with procrastination with everything besides incubation. [​IMG] The last hatch, I made sure my incubator was running stable a week and half before I got the eggs in it.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If you go looking for them again, try to remember my misc. info page. I have it posted there as well as a lot of other info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by