Thermometer question

janeken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
bedford virginia
I looked at the threads, but most are older and just wanted to know what type of thermometer is best for chickens. I used the mercury one that came with incubator for quail and guineas, and had quite good success rates, but don't know if chickens are different right the the degree of accuracy for hatching! I appreciate your help!

I have seen digital thermometers read nearly 10 degrees off. Glass thermometers have their issues also. It may seem obvious but anyway, buy the best thermometers you can afford (within reason). We're hatching eggs not brewing nuclear fuel or something.

Glass/mercury thermometers can present a few problems, such as, they require you be relatively close to read them.

Mercury has been replaced with other materials in many of today's thermometers. But, for the sake of this discussion.... The following drawbacks to glass/mercury thermometers pretty much DO NOT APPLY to conditions found in an incubator.

1. Drastic changes in temperature, causing the mercury to travel up and down the tube can cause wear inside the stem.

2. Heavy vibrations from things like machinery can cause the mercury to separate.

3. Glass will break if dropped or treated too roughly.

Temperature is probably the most important variable to control in an incubator. An accurate thermometer is a must. I use a digital with a long probe that goes inside the incubator and, the meter with a large display for easy-n-quick viewing, rests outside. I have 3 glass thermometers that I move around to different places inside the incubator to make sure I don't have hot or cold spots. I bought all three glass thermometers at the same time, at the same place, and made sure all three were reading the exact same temperature.

If I had to bet the life of my chicken's hatching, I'd trust the glass over low-cost digitals every time.

I bought a $20 digital thermometer (with humidity reading as well) at my local hardware store. I have found it to be very, very accurate. Including the humidity. It all depends on the brands. Research some reviews.

I have a wireless digital thermometer that I love! It's been very accurate and inexpensive. I have another set up for outside. I can monitor both temps from inside my house.

Last edited:
There use to be thread around here that telled us how to callabrate therms and the things we use to see how much humidity we have in our incubators I have a hard time with the search engine so I havent been able to find it /them maybe someone more computer savvy coould though.

Thanks everyone, this is a valuable site for me to learn. I can't believe all the wonderful people on here with great advice! I did read another thread that said to calibrate it using iced water. I do have a very nice digital thermometer with the probe as well as glass. I will use both. Thanks again everyone

Back
Top Bottom