Thermostat question

midget_farms

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Dunlap Illinois
I've been away from BYC for a long time - but over this Christmas break I decided to build a new incubator.

This is my first try with a water heater thermostat - super simple - got it kicking on & off but it seems the range in temp is huge - it will kick off at 100* but kicks on at around 90*.

Is there a way to adjust this on a water heater thermo? WIll it make much of a difference if the average temp is correct?

I know Its better to be a touch cool than hot - just would like to see it kick on & off much closer together.

I've been away from BYC for a long time - but over this Christmas break I decided to build a new incubator.

This is my first try with a water heater thermostat - super simple - got it kicking on & off but it seems the range in temp is huge - it will kick off at 100* but kicks on at around 90*.

Is there a way to adjust this on a water heater thermo? WIll it make much of a difference if the average temp is correct?

I know Its better to be a touch cool than hot - just would like to see it kick on & off much closer together.

A stable temp is the most critical part of incubating, I don't understand the desire to save a few cents on the part most likely to make or break your success. I have one incubator using an STC-1000, and while it works well, it's a pain to mount and wire. For a few dollars more you can get a Willhi PID controller, the Wh1436PID. You can find it on Amazon or eBay for $23 - 27. Nothing to wire here, just plug into it. It can be "tweaked" to an insane level of temperature control, but out of the box it's better than am STC-1000, and SO much better than a water heater themostat.

wow - technology has gotten a LOT cheaper since I built my last incubator!!!

I bought the controller you listed above & its working great!

I'm going to run it a few days & make sure it keeps a stable temp & see what it will do for humidity.

Thank you for the suggestion! $16

Back
Top Bottom