These are RIR chicks, right? (Large pics, refresh if too big)

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
My feed store had these labeled as RIR pullets, which is what I thought they were. But then I see pictures of RIR chicks online. The ones online are much darker, and have stripes or darker markings than mine. Are these guys just low quality RIR? Or are they new hampshire reds, or production reds? These pictures were taken a couple days ago. The lighting makes them look darker than they really are, the last pic is what color they really look like.

chicks2002.jpg

RIRchicks034.jpg

RIRchicks033.jpg

RIRchicks032.jpg

RIRchicks031.jpg

chicks2007.jpg

I had production RIR's hatch last year and they all had their "chipmunk" stripes. Red sex links will start out yellow chicks to white feathered juveniles and then SURPRISE! red feathers pop out every where. If they are Red sex-links, you'll be very pleased with their coloration and their laying abilities.

I guess these aren't RIR then, but they do look a lot like red sex links. Maybe they are, but I'm heading back to the feed store to pick up more. I can't have just 5!
tongue.png

Hm? They were sexed as pullets, and all 5 have some kind of pale dot on their heads. So unless I ended up with 5 roosters from a pullet box, then I don't think that's what it means. But maybe your right, I'm still not sure on their exact breed.

Back
Top Bottom