These Aren’t Cuckoo Marans, Are They?

FountainCityCottage

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2019
6EA9D349-C95E-4E02-836D-C64797AE83FD.jpeg
6EA9D349-C95E-4E02-836D-C64797AE83FD.jpeg So two of my pullets were sold to me at 8 weeks as Cuckoo Marans. Now they’re about 6-7 months old and I find that they have clean, yellow legs. These are actually Barred Rocks, aren’t they? (They haven’t started laying yet)

The yellow legs say to me they aren't Marans... but every hatchery barred rock I have ever seen has been not so heavily built as these ladies seem to be. The egg color will tell you what you need to know. I can't really say.

Aren’t Dominiques more slightly built & have more upright carriage than Marans or Barred Rocks? So far, my hens look fairly heavy bodied. However, I know very little about chicken breeds ;-)

My Doms are smallish but not a *lot* smaller that the other mature hens (Buff Orpingtons, Columbian & Silver-laced Black Wyandottes, & Black Australorps.) I can’t tell their size in your photo & of course different strains may vary in size a bit. Mine came from Cackle Hatchery. Where did you pick yours up?

My Doms are smallish but not a *lot* smaller that the other mature hens (Buff Orpingtons, Columbian & Silver-laced Black Wyandottes, & Black Australorps.) I can’t tell their size in your photo & of course different strains may vary in size a bit. Mine came from Cackle Hatchery. Where did you pick yours up?

Mine came from a farmer near me in East Tennessee.

Maybe they were better bred than mine since they came from a private breeder. I don’t know why he would have mixed them up with Cuckoo Marans, though. I don’t remember what mine looked like as chicks—possibly similar, but my Marans (Black Copper not Cuckoo) had feathered legs right out of the box. I’m guessing it was an honest mix-up.

Back
Top Bottom