These arent barred rocks, are they?

Pics
Possibly black sex links. The only one that had a whit spot on the head ended up being a boy. I was ready trying to avoid dark birds because of how hot we get in the summer. I currently have 5 production blues which are mixed with blue australorps. Do black sexlinks or black australorps do ok in heat?I know chickens in general dont like heat.
Depends on your region. I'm in Missouri and it's hot and humid. The did okay over the summer, but they had lots of shade.

Are you 100% sure it was a boy? Could've been your only Barred Rock, maybe.

If they're black sexlinks the females should have some sort of gold/red leakage in their breasts area, or in the neck hackles. Some are solid black, with a small amount of leakage.
I got 5 chicks that I thought were black sex-links. Two have leakage, but the other three all black with white spots on the bottoms of their feet. Those 3 could be black australorps or black sex-links. Either way, they are good girls.

We were sold 2 barred rocks that ended up being austrlorops as well. Frustrating, I agree. The Australians were good layers and friendly, but not what we wanted. We ended up selling them as we can only get so many birds and we did not want australorps.

We were sold 2 barred rocks that ended up being austrlorops as well. Frustrating, I agree. The Australians were good layers and friendly, but not what we wanted. We ended up selling them as we can only get so many birds and we did not want australorps.
I really dont want to start over with babies and I already ave these ones accustomed to me doing inspections on them to check for mites, lice, or injuries. I'll keep these ones but am a bit peeved. Especially with the fact that I traded out a chick and still recieved a black australorp when I asked for a barred rock.

Ok, heres a better picture. And ink ow you cant see the comb that well but would you guess boy from this? If australorp then, from experience, the comb on a cockerel would be bigger. But still open to opinions.

Attachments

• 20210222_132606.jpg
    20210222_132606.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210222_132608.jpg
    20210222_132608.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210222_132613.jpg
    20210222_132613.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 11
Ok, so heres a twist. They aren't black sex links or black australorps. The lady I got them from said the place she gets her eggs from dont breed those birds. She said they are probably black copper marans. Never had them so if anyone who is more experienced could chime in.

Back
Top Bottom