These Geese didn't come with instructions!!!

cwheaton912

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Brooklyn, CT
So, my new goslings have arrived...3 Toulouse and 3 Embden...I know Embden are supposed to be sexable at hatching but I'm not sure how...so I am including pictures of them...if someone could tell me who is a goose and who is a gander that would be GREAT!

Also:
Do house geese need a heat lamp?

How big/old do my geese need to be to feed them "table" food?

Should I be worried that my smallest goose is half the size of 4 of the others and a third of the size of the largest?

So, my new goslings have arrived...3 Toulouse and 3 Embden...I know Embden are supposed to be sexable at hatching but I'm not sure how...so I am including pictures of them...if someone could tell me who is a goose and who is a gander that would be GREAT!

Also:
Do house geese need a heat lamp?

How big/old do my geese need to be to feed them "table" food?

Should I be worried that my smallest goose is half the size of 4 of the others and a third of the size of the largest?

What are the temps in your house, water fowl need to be kept at 80-85 first week then 5* cooler each week there after. Table food?? they can eat chopped up greens right away as long as you provide chick grit, they can't chew with out it any thing other than their crumble. Also chopped grass is another tasty treat they love. Embdens can be sexed by the dark grey so the dark will be females light will be boys. Probably nothing to worry about with your smallest as long as you watch and make sure it gets plenty to eat and drink since the smallest it may get pushed around a bit, hopefully not though. What do you mean by table food?

Temps in my house are not that warm, so I will leave the heat lamp, thank you for the advice.

By "table food" I meant vegetable and bread stuffs (I think my chicks were 2-3 weeks old before we gave it to them)

Do the chicks in the photos look male or female?

Temps in my house are not that warm, so I will leave the heat lamp, thank you for the advice.

By "table food" I meant vegetable and bread stuffs (I think my chicks were 2-3 weeks old before we gave it to them)

Do the chicks in the photos look male or female?
Bread stuffs are not good for waterfowl, give them greens chopped very fine grass ,romaine lettuce, collards kale etc. no spinach.

as far as who is who, my Embden gander grey was very light. which box has which? my Toulouse was 4 months old when I got her so didn't get to see her as a tiny gosling. there a pics on line of males and females if you google.

Em_Apr407_N%20222.jpg
female Embden gosling
EmbdenGosl.JPEG
Boy

Last edited:
both of these pictures are the same 3 embden geese. I didn't photograph the Toulouse.
I'd say and just a wild guess by look coloring on heads too you have 2 girls 1 boy. the 2 with dark grey on heads I am guessing are girls. Hopefully someone like serv police will be able to say for sure.

Did you get them from Metzer farms? My geese and ducks came in a box exactly like that, same bedding on floor and gro gel in cup on the side of box. If so, there should be a care sheet with the shipping slip.
They need heat and I dig up clumps of weeds (dandelion/clover) in the backyard and put that in their brooder box. They love it and go nuts over the greens. I give them that besides their starter feed (22% Protein Meat/Gamebird starter) and just to be safe I sprinkle some grit on top since they eat grass too.

Back
Top Bottom