These things(CC's) really are nasty....

boilerjoe_96

Songster
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
West Lafayette, IN
14 CC's in a 4X5 area so just over 1 sqft a bird. I know it could be bigger.

anyway, cleaning the litter once a week won't work. Mine were 4 weeks on Tues and I have to dig out wet. poopy, smelly litter everyday and put infresh shavings. These 14 birds go through 2 gallons of water a day and it all passes right through them.

Pulled 2 out to separate and prepare for a Sunday night date with the freezer(almost 5 weeks). I wish I had a small scale to see what they weigh. they are little chunks that is for sure...

We'll see how my first attempt at chicken processing goes.

I hear ya on the mess. :mad: I am expanding the pen mine are in this weekend, as they've outgrown it.
roll.png

I am right behind you. I have 22 CC's in a 5.5' x 5.5' pen and they are a little over 3 weeks old. Mine are going through at LEAST 2 gallons of water (sometimes 3 or 4) a day, and the poo with them is NOTHING like that of normal chicks. I've had to take a shovel and litterally dig and break up the poo to shovel it out and put new bedding in. Just a couple days later, its deep in poo again!
roll.png
We are going to make their pen 8' x 8' and hopefully the additional space with lessen the poo-pileup a little. Mine are chunky for sure, but too small yet to 'table', otherwise I'd freeze a few to make more room. Let me know how the dressing of your 4 weekers goes, and see if you can't get a weight somehow.

I am as curious as anyone on their weight, so I will probably find a cheap walmart 10 lb scale and buy it.

I used to take a long 1X3 and stir the litter up, but it got so bad I have had to pull the shovel out like you just to break it up so I can shovel it out.

Per Welp hatchery's site they are supposed to be 4.5 lbs @ 5 weeks.(the roos). mine is probably close though not from Welp.

I will post to let you know how it went and most likely have a weight for you....

Back
Top Bottom