1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

These things(CC's) really are nasty....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by boilerjoe_96, May 25, 2007.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    14 CC's in a 4X5 area so just over 1 sqft a bird. I know it could be bigger.

anyway, cleaning the litter once a week won't work. Mine were 4 weeks on Tues and I have to dig out wet. poopy, smelly litter everyday and put infresh shavings. These 14 birds go through 2 gallons of water a day and it all passes right through them.

Pulled 2 out to separate and prepare for a Sunday night date with the freezer(almost 5 weeks). I wish I had a small scale to see what they weigh. they are little chunks that is for sure...

We'll see how my first attempt at chicken processing goes.

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I hear ya on the mess. :mad: I am expanding the pen mine are in this weekend, as they've outgrown it. [​IMG]

I am right behind you. I have 22 CC's in a 5.5' x 5.5' pen and they are a little over 3 weeks old. Mine are going through at LEAST 2 gallons of water (sometimes 3 or 4) a day, and the poo with them is NOTHING like that of normal chicks. I've had to take a shovel and litterally dig and break up the poo to shovel it out and put new bedding in. Just a couple days later, its deep in poo again! [​IMG] We are going to make their pen 8' x 8' and hopefully the additional space with lessen the poo-pileup a little. Mine are chunky for sure, but too small yet to 'table', otherwise I'd freeze a few to make more room. Let me know how the dressing of your 4 weekers goes, and see if you can't get a weight somehow.

3. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    I am as curious as anyone on their weight, so I will probably find a cheap walmart 10 lb scale and buy it.

I used to take a long 1X3 and stir the litter up, but it got so bad I have had to pull the shovel out like you just to break it up so I can shovel it out.

Per Welp hatchery's site they are supposed to be 4.5 lbs @ 5 weeks.(the roos). mine is probably close though not from Welp.

I will post to let you know how it went and most likely have a weight for you....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by