These two have me so confused! Help?!

BlessedmamaAELE

Songster
Apr 12, 2019
2D74CDB5-5823-4AE8-91B2-709BEACAF765.jpeg
980C9504-7CC1-4039-B3CD-F1B19A361CED.jpeg
A6D449EA-2A92-4ACE-8FFC-4E8DEED10022.jpeg
So these two, have me pondering. I got them at 16 wks, they are now 28 wks, as Pullets. Supposedly a Wyandotte, and red sex link. But clearly just barnyard mix. (As I’ve learned more now, both clearly are mixes.) Blackberry the Wyandotte mix (if you have any suggestions what combo she may be I’m all ears. Thinking Wyandotte, Ameracauna.) presents female, and is danced with like female by my known roo. But the saddle feathers and hackle feathers make me wonder other wise. “She” does not crow yet and has not started laying yet, to my knowledge, but by comb and wattle looks ready. Not aggressive at all. Doesn’t stand like a roo either but just want to be sure.

The “red sex link” (possibly RIR Ameracauna, any ideas?) she’s the one that really has me stumped. Kinder saddle feathers, more defined comb and wattle, slightly aggressive, more assertive, does not lay yet, to my knowledge and does not crow. Stands more upright sometimes. These two stick together and are more at the bottom on the pecking order as far as I can tell by observing. I’m thinking just more developed. I have never seen my Cockerel, Popeye, mount either of them. (Popeye included in last photo to show difference.).

Any thoughts? Just to put my mind at rest! Haha.

View attachment 1885537 View attachment 1885538 View attachment 1885539 So these two, have me pondering. I got them at 16 wks, they are now 28 wks, as Pullets. Supposedly a Wyandotte, and red sex link. But clearly just barnyard mix. (As I’ve learned more now, both clearly are mixes.) Blackberry the Wyandotte mix (if you have any suggestions what combo she may be I’m all ears. Thinking Wyandotte, Ameracauna.) presents female, and is danced with like female by my known roo. But the saddle feathers and hackle feathers make me wonder other wise. “She” does not crow yet and has not started laying yet, to my knowledge, but by comb and wattle looks ready. Not aggressive at all. Doesn’t stand like a roo either but just want to be sure.

The “red sex link” (possibly RIR Ameracauna, any ideas?) she’s the one that really has me stumped. Kinder saddle feathers, more defined comb and wattle, slightly aggressive, more assertive, does not lay yet, to my knowledge and does not crow. Stands more upright sometimes. These two stick together and are more at the bottom on the pecking order as far as I can tell by observing. I’m thinking just more developed. I have never seen my Cockerel, Popeye, mount either of them. (Popeye included in last photo to show difference.).

Any thoughts? Just to put my mind at rest! Haha.
All of these birds are cockerels.
If your senior rooster is "dancing" around them, he is asserting his dominance. That is why you have yet to hear any of these boys crow. It is their best interest to keep their yaps shut as they would suffer repercussions from the senior rooster.

Last edited:
If your senior rooster is "dancing" around them, he is asserting is dominance. That is why you have yet to hear any of these boys crow. It is their best interest to keep their yaps shut as they would suffer repercussions from the senior rooster.
I have an Ayam Cemani, that crows But is younger. They seem to get along fine and Popeye, the dominant, doesn’t bother him at all. That’s why i have been so conflicted with these two. And yes, the saddle feathers is what has me concerned. Lovely, looks
Like I’ll have a few more
Chickens for the soup pot! Come to think of it... I have seen Blackberry mounting my polish. :barnie

I have an Ayam Cemani, that crows But is younger. They seem to get along fine and Popeye, the dominant, doesn’t bother him at all. That’s why i have been so conflicted with these two. And yes, the saddle feathers is what has me concerned. Lovely, looks
Like I’ll have a few more
Chickens for the soup pot! :barnie
Yeah, there's not really any question on either of these. Both very much freezer camp material

If your senior rooster is "dancing" around them, he is asserting is dominance. That is why you have yet to hear any of these boys crow. It is their best interest to keep their yaps shut as they would suffer repercussions from the senior rooster.

Right on the money.

:lol: Yep... that’s my thoughts now! Esp because both are a little
To assertive for my liking!
I currently have two that I'm seeing who is going to last. My wife likes one, and I like the other. Mine is a better flock protector and clearly the dominant one. Hers has never crowed out of fear of mine but is very sexually agressive. Mine on the other hand is a bit too bossy and we're working on respecting humans. Who knows maybe they'll both go in a Crock-Pot at some point.

Back
Top Bottom