They ALL want to sleep in the Nest Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Booswalia, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

I only have one nest box and all three of my girls were crammed in there sleeping when I had a look about an hour ago. I moved them all to the roost.
    Chickens are funny.

I wonder if I should close the windows. They might be going in there because it's warmer.

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I had four teenage chickens in one nest box and it was almost 100*, I thought it was more for securitly than warmth. After two days of removing them and placing them on the roost, they got the message!! Every few days, I find one of my girls perched on the board in front of the nest boxes.. It's not always the same one, so I don't worry about it too much..

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It takes at least several nights of going into the coop after dark and moving them to the roosts for them to get the idea.
    Are your roosts higher than your nestboxes?

4. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Should the roosts be higher than the boxes? I never see anyone in any of our nest boxes but I can tell they've been in them. Maybe they'll leave me a present soon...

5. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Be patient. I had 5 youngin's that slept in 2 of 4 nesting boxes! It was so funny to see them trying to get comfy. [​IMG]

But in about 3 weeks, they all started roosting on their own. [​IMG]

Leave your windows open for good ventilation...

[​IMG]

6. clayhill

clayhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Lee County, Arkansas
    Hey Boos,

My Barred Rocks started sleeping in the nest boxes right off. I hung an old towel over the boxes for a few weeks and they immediately went to their roosts and have been sleeping there since. You might try this until they get the idea.

7. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I like the towel idea. I may try that tomorrow.

My roost is higher than the nest box but not by much... maybe 8 inches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by