They are finally here!!!!!!!!

fancyfowl4ever

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
What a happy day.

I got a Call from the Kalispell, MT Post Office at 7 am this morning that my chickies that Ideal send on their way yesterday, have already arrived!!!
smile.png
big_smile.png

Amazing how quickly they got up here.

Anyhow, I have been both looking forward and dreading this day. I was happy to get all these colours and breeds I normally cannot get here but on the other hand was really nervous how long shipping would take(McMurray takes 3 days to get their chicks to the Montana/Canada border, so I am amazed Ideal took less then 24 hrs) and the death toll due to such stressful long way shipping..

Well, so I got in my car this morning for the 2.5 hr trip to Kalispell and the drive went really well, opened all 3 boxes at the PO to check for dead ones and only had 2 dead(a dark cornish and a white tailed buff OEGB), and one very weak and still fighting(kraienkoppe I think) out of all 276 chicks they send me. Not too bad I think.

So back up to the border we went, no problems at the crossing(they kinda looked at me funny when I handed them the healthpapers and said I am got 276 baby chicks with me). Dropped them off at all their owners on my way back home, so by the time I was home I was left with my own 108, healthy, active babies.

Ideal was awesome when it came to keeping me informed when they were short on a breed(white tailed red OEGBs, but gave me some more of the chocolates in return), and the labeling of the boxes was wonderful, all chicks were boxed accordingly to whom they go(Shared the order with 5 other people, could of been very confusing if I had to pick out everyones birds).

So for any Canadian out there thinking of ordering from them, I recommend them highly.

Anyhow, here are some pics of the lil buggers, they look a bit tired but that is because they have been home for less then an hour(I am just as tired, 5 hr drive for baby chicks..... and I would do it again).
Idealchicks003.jpg

Idealchicks001.jpg

Anna

WOW!
ep.gif
108 chicks!!! I can't even imagine! I felt like I had my hands full when I bought 18 this past go round. Sheesh! 108!!! Can you tell I'm shocked?!?!
lol.png

They are adorable! Congrats!
smile.png

I forgot to add that I am very impressed that Ideal got them there so quickly.
smile.png

Last edited:
Those lil light grey ones are either chocolate OEGBs or chocolate splash OEGBs, there is only 1 distinct brown one so I think all the other grey lil guys a choc. splash.

Ya, I couldn't believe it when the PO called, the hatchery said they should of arrived latest tomorrow morning(which I already found hard to believe).

108 does seem like a lot 15 are meat birds(black, red and whites, 5 of each colour), 34 st run OEGBs(with my luck 98% roos, which will all have to go) and then I ordered from every breed on my list at least 2 males and 4 females(to hopefully end up with 1 pair when they are all grown up after possible shipping losses, health issues etc). If I already spend the money to bring in chicks and go through all the hassle I want to do it right and get a few breeds/colours I cannot get here. Charge of healthpapers is the same no matter how many chicks you bring over.

Chicks are cheap in the US, here you pay $8 per straight run chick from the closest hatchery, and there you can only pick from EEs, Dark Brahmas, Buff Orps, and Black Aussies. Min order of 25 chicks, and $25 min for shipping. Hatcheries at the other end of Canada charge less for chicks($4 -$6, still straight run tho) but only ship via air and that costs min $150.....

In the end it was cheaper per person to order chicks from the US, even with the health papers($60 split by 6) and Shipping($32 split by 6) and we get at least quadruple the selection, plus most large fowl breeds we can get sexed.

Anna

Back
Top Bottom