THEY ARE HATCHING!! (edited title from Is she broody w/out eggs?)

elevan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Morrow Co ~ Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
hu.gif

I have a buckeye hen (9 months old) who has been staying in her favorite nest box for the past 2 days. There aren't any eggs under her. She's not laid an egg either day (and she normally does every day). She just sits in the box being very quiet. She's normally the first out of the coop in the morning and is all over the yard through out the day...but the past 2 days she's barely left the box. Has she gone broody?

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope, she's calm as ever. Will let me lift her up and check for eggs under her (as I did tonight). She's not injured. She is our most socialable hen and loves people so if she did any of those things I'd think something was terribly wrong...but she's a sweet as always - just doesn't leave the nest in the past 2 days.

Hmm, hard to say, then. I've only had a couple of broodies over the years that didn't even growl at me, didn't flare up like a demented beach ball, LOL. Make sure she's getting off to drink at least and keep an eye on her.

Is she spread out flat like a pancake. Though friendly, does she cluck alot when taken off the nest. Mine will let me pick her up and move her about but she's a clucking fool when I make her go outside.

Quote:
Yeah she's pretty spread out. She's very quiet (and normally is so). We haven't forced her outside yet (will try that tomorrow).

If she is spends two consecutive nights on the nest instead of roosting in her favorite spot, I's consider her broody and worthy of hatching eggs if you want her to raise a family. I've had some that were mean, nasty, vicious broodies when you threaten the nest, and some that are very mild and gentle. They all made good mothers.

Mine was very similar, nicest girl in the coop, let me look under her without becoming nasty.

After 3 days I got some fertile eggs and put them under her. she would leave in the am and pm
to eat and drink, then go back to the nest box. she hatched 10 babies and is the best mother.

chicks are now 4 weeks old. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom