They are here!♥️

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I'm so excited. 2 out of the 5 chicks have hatched. They are 3 days early! The other 3 are due Monday thru Wednesday. I love having new chicks. I hatched using a broody. Can't wait to see what the other 3 will look like!
20200209_130336_HDR.jpg
20200209_130324_HDR.jpg

No they are still under Mama
I'd get them into an incubator. She will abandon the other eggs since she already has a job to do taking care of the live chicks. (A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
She won't spend enough time on the nest to keep them incubating for the next 3 days and still show her chicks where to eat and drink. She can't do that and still incubate eggs. That's the drawback of a staggered hatch and not removing eggs from a nest after she first sets. Normally, in nature, incubation won't begin until after a clutch is assembled. In a chicken coop, hens may continue to contribute eggs after incubation has started.

Last edited:
I'd get them into an incubator. She will abandon the other eggs since she already has a job to do taking care of the live chicks. (A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush)
She won't spend enough time on the nest to keep them incubating for the next 3 days and still show her chicks where to eat and drink. She can't do that and still incubate eggs. That's the drawback of a staggered hatch and not removing eggs from a nest after she first sets. Normally, in nature, incubation won't begin until after a clutch is assembled. In a chicken coop, hens may continue to contribute eggs after incubation has started.
I don't have an incubator. I appreciate the information. She's my best broody this isn't her first go around she's always waited until all hatch. I set up food and water for her to show them and for herself. This is about the 5th or 6th time I've had her as a broody. It's always been a success.

I don't have an incubator. I appreciate the information. She's my best broody this isn't her first go around she's always waited until all hatch. I set up food and water for her to show them and for herself. This is about the 5th or 6th time I've had her as a broody. It's always been a success.
Please do let us know how it works out.
I don't think I've ever had a hen continue to sit on eggs 3 days after the first hatch.

Please do let us know how it works out.
I don't think I've ever had a hen continue to sit on eggs 3 days after the first hatch.
That is why she is my best broody. She always waits. It is cold here anyways and she will spend most of her time in her coop with them and they stay under her. She's never abandoned her eggs and I've never had a problem with the already hatched chicks waiting. They usually eat and scratch around wherever I have them set up which is usually a very large tub or in a small coop I have. I'm confident this time will be no different and will go well. Thank you again for your concern and information.

Back
Top Bottom