They are here and settled in

JustaCluckin

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Hello. I introduced myself a couple weeks back. I finally have my Barred rock and Black Australorp pullets. We just got them on Sunday and they are settling in nicely. I named them and my husband laughs lol, oh well. I name everything even my koi have names (not that they ever respond to them). Anyhow we had an 8x8 fort in our backyard that we were tired of seeing get no use, it was either cut it down or convert it into something, so with a little convincing hubby made me a chicken coop. At first we were not sure it would work as it is approximately 5.5 feet off the ground but they use the ramp quite nicely.

Here are some pictures...hope you enjoy
smile.png

Home sweet home
DSC_0013-1.jpg

We loved the ideas you all had on feeders!!
DSC_0011-1.jpg

The inside...our nesting boxes have not been completed yet, so just a roosting place at this time.
DSC_0015-1.jpg

Here are the girls, sorry about the crapy picture, we have been having yucky weather lately.
From back to front: Dharma, Raven, Pecksa and Chicko (I told my son I thought it should be Chicka but he picked it lol).
DSC_0010-1.jpg

Dharma is my favorite.
DSC_0003-1.jpg

I swear Raven looks like a vulture.
DSC_0018-1.jpg

I hope to add a couple more but we have to wait and see. They will have free time in the yard in a few weeks after I feel like they are used to me enough I won't have to chase them down, maybe get them to just follow me in with a little special snack. I can't wait to watch them mature and lay me some nice fresh eggs.

Thanks for taking a peck, I mean peek...hope you enjoyed.
Traci

Good job...

... but I would have used an 1/8 corner rather than a 1/4 turn for the feeder on the left.

Someday I'll make one for my run.

Quote:
The one on the left is for the water;) Works just fine. I love them.

Thank you all. I am really enjoying looking around and absorbing all your chicken knowledge:D

Love your pics, and your feeders are fantastic!

Your hubby must be something if he would make your babies that lovely ramp. With the coop so high, you don't need hardware cloth on the windows, do you?

Does the ladder in the first pic lead to a hatch so you can enter for cleaning?

Great coop!

Quote:
Thanks Ingrid. My hubby is great:) I can't believe he even let me have chickens lol, much less make the coop nicer than I imagined. We didn't cover the windows with hardware cloth, just the screens are in them. I think they should be pretty safe since the windows are probably about 10 feet from the ground.

Yes the ladder in the first picture is the original entrance way to the fort through a "trap" door for cleaning and some day, hopefully, egg collecting.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom