They are here!!! CHRISTMAS BABIES!!!

Fussy8

Songster
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Utah
After I opened all my presents i went out to the coop to check on the eggs!! WE HAVE A PURE BRED POLISH CHICK!! christmas babies the other is hatching and i pulled a peice away that was hanging there!! IT is chirping inside the egg and i don't know when to help this baby come out!!! What should i do?!?!?!!?!? The mama has been keeping both of them warm and it scares me to leave them because they are off the ground!!! But my main question is SHOULD I HELP THIS HATCHING BABY!?!?!?!?!? I look inside the egg and it is dryish!! HELP
th.gif
barnie.gif

If you see blood or blood in the veins...leave it. If no blood chip some of the shell away slowly. Keep us posted.
fl.gif

202rooterlane an answer to your questions yes. yes. and yes!!
BHepno blood and thank you i will start doing that!!
thanks all!!

So i helped it and now the chick is out and chirpy!! I gave it back to the mama and she began cleaning it lightly and the chick is a little quieter! Yet the hen will not pull it under her yet and it is cold outside!!! What now!! This is my first time hatching!!!! AND sorry for the miss type on the last one there was NO blood until i helped it then there was a little blood... is that ok?!?!?

She'll accept the chick just fine. I've even had success sneeking unrelated chicks under a broody hen 2 weeks after all hers hatched!

lol.png

and as far as helping a chick from the egg if it's in a struggle; i know A LOT of people will say don't help, but it's gone well for me more often then it's gone bad!

Last edited:
If by now she has still not accepted it to keep it warm, I would bring it in. IMO I too would be worried it would freeze to death. She really should be okay if momma does her part. Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

jumpy.gif
The baby i helped died
hit.gif
5 minutes after i helped it... the mom would not take it and i left because she seemed interested then i came back to it laying there not breathing. I listened for a heart beat andbtryed to warm it up. It breathed in twice when i held it infront of the lamp and then...nothing. But i took the sadness and turned it into love for our polish chick! I brought mama and Noel (that is her name) into the house in a medium kennel! I know this is the wrong forum but are there any suggestions for her well being?? Like how to get the mama to stand up to teacher her how to eat and drink and i was told by a chicken raising neighbor that i should put a little sugar in the water?!?! W ell thank you for being interested!!!!!!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom