1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They are here...color question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shakecc, Jun 26, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    My 8 variety pack of chicks are here. The 2 Black Sex Links are supposed to be pullets, but they look alittle different in color...does that mean one may be a roo? One has little more brownish tint to it's face and it's feet are more brown than the others who are black.

Thanks!

2. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

look for

black and red sex link question in the posts , it has answers about colors .

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    black sex links are distinguished by the white dot on their head or absense of a white dot on their head. If they have one then they are a roo if they don't they should be a pullet. sounds like one of em is gonna be a pretty hen. The other name for them is red rocks.

4. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Pullets of black sex links vary from solid black to black blazed with golden specs on thier heads, necks and chest. The males have white and black, this is why they are dubbed sex links, the males and females can be determined by thier coloring. Sounds like previous poster is correct and you have one very colorful hen. I have 4 of these pullets obtained in the spring and they Range in color from total black to different degrees of the amount of golden flecks.

5. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Thanks everyone... Now I feel confident that they are both pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by