They are here!!I am a chicken mama!!!!!!!

NJbirdlover

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Salem County, NJ
I got the call 5:30 this morning my chicks were at the post office.
clap.gif
I ran right over to pick them up and they were all alive (I was afraid to check in the box)
jumpy.gif
:jumpy:ya
They started drinking and eating with no problem, no pasty butt so far either.

One little BO was a little wobbly and has a red mark on her beak where it attaches to her face it looked like blood but nothing wiped off? I thought maybe she was pecked but couldn't tell.
jumpy.gif

Temp question... Should you keep the thermometer right under the light or off to the side?

The chicks go back and forth under the light. They will be huddled together one minute and then spread out the next and nosier than I thought they would be, especially one little one seems to be the boss already. The temp should be good, is this normal?
D.gif

My kids and I are in love already! I was late to work because I was fussing over them making sure everything was like it should be! Can you say...."MOTHER HEN"!
wee.gif

We ordered from Healthy Chicks and More-would recommend them-fast service (1 week from order time to delivery) and all chicks look great!

Congrats on the babies and pics please
jumpy.gif

I keep my thermometer to the side. Yes they will lay together then spread out. Temp should be around 90 for the first week.
jumpy.gif

YEAH!!!!! I love baby chicks. I just got some on monday so I know your excitement. As long as the chicks have a heat light on, they will adjust themselves to where they are comfortable. I wouldn't worry too much unless you notice that they aren't going near the light at all. Then it might be too close and too hot.

You do great! Let us know how things go.

congrats on your chicks! Are you sure the red mark might not be from the hatchery. That is how some mark the roos for you.

Quote:
hmm, not sure but I am only supposed to have 1 roo-a speckled sussex and the mark was on a buff orp. When I get home today I am going to try and get a better look-I didn't want to scare her too much this morning with my poking and prodding.

Back
Top Bottom