they are in the trees

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smom1976, Dec 25, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Ok so I got two new chickens the day before I left.. to go to washington so I left my husband to tend to them..

He let them out to free range with my girls..

they didnt go back in..

they are now in the trees. These are not tame chickens at all.. I think that they are now gonners..

He is leaving town too.. what the heck..

ahhh this is more of a vent on the stupid things my husband does sometimes.

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Maybe he wasnʻt so dumb. Chickens want to roost, but these "newcomers" probably werenʻt accepted into your existing flock. If he had cooped them together, you may have rerturned to two dead chickens. So, now your job is to "tame" them with treats and special attention which may just cause them to begin to socialize with the other interested members of your existing flock.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    You're kinda lucky maybe they're isolating themselves from the flock. I always hold my new birds out for 30 days before I introduce them to the flock. If they can survive for a month in the trees and you offer them treats you might make out OK. HOw cold is it there?

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I think it is in the 40's

but I think my husband left to go hunting for days.. I dont really know.. (not the most fun part of my marriage)

but I hope they will be ok. The girls will be locked up. so I know that they will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by