They are now 3 plus weeks and growing!

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
The chicks I got from Meyer are now 3 going on 4 weeks. LOL They are so wanting to fly and get out of the brooder. But I still have the banties I need to give to their new home tomorrow. then I have to disinfect the house before I can put them into it. (leg mites) I bought some DE to do it. It is not food grade but the store said that people buy it for their chicken houses and some even buy it to take themselves. So it must be ok to us.

Anyway here they are in all their glory. I still need to know what some of them are and if I have more roosters. they are supposed to be the rainbow layers. I know there is a 85 to 90% on the sexing so I can't complain I guess. I bought one EE rooster and my Sis in law gave me the blue on in the pictures. But now I have a gold laced wyendotte that I know is a rooster and maybe a Wellsummer or light brown leghorn. I wish I know which. I would like the wellsummer to be a rooster if the females are wellsummers. but I don't want a leghorn rooster. I also wonder about a couple more but it is too soon to tell on them.

Please go and look at them and tell me what you think.
http://www.bleilysgems.com/Chickens/

Quote:
Which are you talking about??? I have some barred rocks but I didn't really take any close up of them.

#2 looks like it is a Black Australorp.

On the ones you think are Welsummers..... if they ARE, then the dark-breasted one is most likely a roo. I have done a lot of research on this trying to sex my two (who turned out to be pullets). The girls have much lighter breast feathers, light brown to coppery red. Also, at 6 weeks my two girls combs are MUCH smaller than your cockerel's. In a week or two, then the neck/cape/hackle (?) feathers start coming in, the girls will be tan with a brown stripe. The only thinkg that makes me wonder whether they are welsummers or not is the really bright white stripe on that one girls' chest. Ours, and the photos I looked at, had a much safter tan breast.

WElsummer roos are gorgeous! That's great you can keep him.

Stacey

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of yours? I really wanted Welsummers. But if I didn't get them this time I will get some next year or so. I live in the country so I can have roosters. All I want but I really don't want too many. LOL I would like to raise a few chickens of different breeds. I am going to make a little breeding coop and run for that. If these were Welsummers they would be in it. ;}
The thing that bothers me is there is one that looks very different. She has more copper looking feathers on her breast than the one I showed. I guess I didn't get a picture of her. I have a feeling she may be the only Welsummer I have. The others may be brown leghorns. What else looks like that?

Last edited:
Quote:
I am sorry you said number 2 in your post. I just didn't see it. don't ask me how I didn't.

I do have barred rocks but they don't look like that at this point. they already have bars on them.
Thanks though.

Here are some pics if it helps you out:

Welsummers:

wels4weeks2.jpg

wels4weeks1.jpg

beatrix2.jpg

beatrix1.jpg

ophelia2.jpg

ophelia1.jpg

welsummer5.75_weeks.jpg

wels5.75_weeks.jpg

Black Australorp: