They are poisoned again!!!

If it happens again how should I get the charcoal in? It doesn't go in a tube and they won't eat when they're like that.
I would not give charcoal. Next time you fill their water, fill with warm water, not cold water, and if they look like they're gonna guzzle a bunch, let them drink a little, remove it, wait 15 minutes, return the water, let them drink a little more, remove water, and repeat this until they are not guzzling.

I agree with @casportpony 's advice. If it was only the ducklings showing symptoms .... probably just shock from cold water.

Though if you're concerned about the toxicity of your water, and you're waiting on results from a water test, I'd ... probably also hold off on the pool. But for future reference, a de-chlorinator (the Fish Prime) would not help a toxicity issue. Because chlorine actually sanitizes water. In fact, in an emergency situation, adding chlorine bleach to water is recommended if you do not have access to bottled water.

But chlorine alone does not sanitize everything. A good water filter is more useful - though they also have limitations. I would suggest doing some research into what specific protocol your state uses for eliminating zebra mussels, and then researching if there's filters on the market that can filter those chemicals/contaminants.

I agree with @casportpony 's advice. If it was only the ducklings showing symptoms .... probably just shock from cold water.

Though if you're concerned about the toxicity of your water, and you're waiting on results from a water test, I'd ... probably also hold off on the pool. But for future reference, a de-chlorinator (the Fish Prime) would not help a toxicity issue. Because chlorine actually sanitizes water. In fact, in an emergency situation, adding chlorine bleach to water is recommended if you do not have access to bottled water.

But chlorine alone does not sanitize everything. A good water filter is more useful - though they also have limitations. I would suggest doing some research into what specific protocol your state uses for eliminating zebra mussels, and then researching if there's filters on the market that can filter those chemicals/contaminants.
It is definitely not from shock from cold water.. We are in Texas and the water is pretty hot even from a hose.

The water test we got done said if we had bacteria coliform without ecoli to pour bleach into our well, I think your correct

Our water is super chlorinated. No, it is not medicated but it is not true that medicated will kill waterfowl.

Waterfowl do not need medicated feed and although they can be given medicated feed their first 2 weeks of life, after that it should be non-medicated because some ducks can be highly sensitive to amprolium. Waterfowl rarely ever get coccidiosis so why feed and tax their systems. Also, David Holdereid did a study and found this:

“During the last 2 weeks of the experi- ment, an increasing number of ducklings displayed shaky legs when standing still or had a lumbering gait. At least one duckling in each treatment at the end of the experiment ex- hibited shaky legs or unsteadiness when stand- ing with majority of the unsteadiness observed in the ducklings fed the two commercial feeds. Whether the levels of amprolium in the commercial pelleted feeds or the high level of niacin in the mash feed or the different protein and energy contents of the feeds had an in- fluence cannot be ascertained. However, this unsteadiness may be caused by environmental stresses such as the type of housing. Ana- tomically, the legs of ducks are weaker than those of land fowl, and in the restricted con- fines of the battery brooder they may not have received adequate exercise to maintain suf- ficient leg strength. Twenty-seven ducklings were saved at the end of the experiment and moved to an outside floor pen and fed rations from treatments 5 and 6. All visible signs of
shaky legs and unsteadiness of gait were absent after 5 days.
Anatomical examinations of the twelve sacrificed ducklings at the end of the experi- ment indicated no internal lesions or skeletal abnormalities among the treatments. From this experiment, it appears that sulfaquinoxaline, zoalene, or amprolium at the manufacturers' use levels for chickens and turkeys did not cause mortality, stunted growth, or cripples when fed to Khaki Campbell ducklings to 4 weeks of age. “

So maybe your pen isn’t large enough.
I have given medicated to mine and seen the same results he saw and I have 10 geese in a 16x25ft building. I have had shaky legs in ducks but not geese so I rather not take the chance or tax their systems because like I said waterfowl usually have no issues with coccidiosis.

So you use a drop of prime, not sure why but this seems to be a fight to take up with your local county. And chlorine won’t hurt them at all. You can always buy bottled water. What I see is protein is not high enough maybe as well.

Back
Top Bottom