They are poisoned again!!!

Pics

superduckrescue

Songster
Mar 26, 2019
Austin, TX
About 2 weeks ago our ducklings got poisoned they lived but now it's happening again after drinking the water they will just fall over after drinking! Help Here is what they look like after poisoning sometimes they will have a seizure too!

About 2 weeks ago our ducklings got poisoned they lived but now it's happening again after drinking the water they will just fall over after drinking! Help Here is what they look like after poisoning sometimes they will have a seizure too!
I've seen this before, and it's not typical poisoning, it's some sort of reaction to drinking a bunch of water. I don't know if it's from drinking cold water and them going hypothermic or is it's from them drinking so much water that it dilutes their electrolytes.

The best way to prevent this is to offer warm water and to restrict the amount they consume for about an hour. What I mean by that is give them water and let them drink for a minute or two, remove water, repeat on 15 minutes. Do this until they are no longer guzzling the water.

Do you have Prime because you have an aquarium? If so, a lot of filter pads contain charcoal. You could open one up for the charcoal in case of an emergency.

Activated Charcoal acts by absorbing chemicals and containing them not for coating anything It is used for human use in poisoning because it absorbs and holds the poison which will then be excreted with the charcoal.

In fish tank filters it helps to absorb ammonia, and nitrates and others.

I agree with @casportpony 's advice. If it was only the ducklings showing symptoms .... probably just shock from cold water.

Though if you're concerned about the toxicity of your water, and you're waiting on results from a water test, I'd ... probably also hold off on the pool. But for future reference, a de-chlorinator (the Fish Prime) would not help a toxicity issue. Because chlorine actually sanitizes water. In fact, in an emergency situation, adding chlorine bleach to water is recommended if you do not have access to bottled water.

But chlorine alone does not sanitize everything. A good water filter is more useful - though they also have limitations. I would suggest doing some research into what specific protocol your state uses for eliminating zebra mussels, and then researching if there's filters on the market that can filter those chemicals/contaminants.

They are having all the signs of being poisoned. I just gave them apple cider vinegar to help it. We are going to get it tested.
Plain water...no fish stuff or ACV. Make sure they have water at all times and don't run out.

Did they run out of water and when you put more this happened?

Back
Top Bottom