They are poisoned again!!!

Chlorine evaporates. Leave chlorinated water in an open container, preferably with something like an aquarium pump to stir it, and the chlorine will all evaporate out in 48 hours or less.

But yes, you need to get your tap water tested. It shouldn't smell. You should also call the city and ask about it.
I'll update everyone when I get the results.

Chlorine does evaporate, so you should be able to fill the pools and leave them out with a pump as suggested to keep them oxygenated and they will be usable in 2 days and with a pump/filter- you shouldn't have to change the water as much.

And with the pump, its moving water - so no mosquitoes larve worries either

I don't remember the year, but while i was living in the Houston area, the municipal water system was switched from simple chlorination to Chloramine. We all received letters from the city, claiming that nothing would change and the water would still be safe to drink, but:
  1. The smell and the taste of the new tap water was very different. Not only noticed i a stronger chlorine smell, also there was a slightly "fishy" aroma.
  2. I drink black tea instead of coffee and while the taste of the chlorinated water was OK for tea after boiling, with the new tap water the chlorine aroma would not disappear after boiling the water.
  3. Chloramine turned out to be bad for the water pipes, slowly dissolving the decades old calcification inside of the pipes, leading to sudden leaks and higher amounts of copper in the water until a new coating of minerals coated the pipes again.
If the water system in Austin has been switched to Chloramine too, just letting the water sit for some time will not help! We ended up having a whole house water filter system installed after the washer and the dishwasher suddenly corroded inside and had to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom