They are Self Blue not Lavender.

Black Cochin Bantams

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
Iowa
No breed of chicken in the USA recognized by either the ABA or APA uses the term lavender as the variety recognition. Self Blue is the designation given to birds that carry the lavender gene. The self blue color is not new. Please use the correct terms when describing your birds and selling eggs. The description of the plumage colors does not use the term lavender either. Described as a light slatey blue. No red, yellow, orange or positive white allowed anywhere. There are some wonderful examples of self blue birds out there.

Thats correct but the breeds being reffered to as lavender r project birds once they r accepted Im sure it will be changed to self blue but for now lavender is used to describe a project bird.

Also, it is the lavender gene that causes this coloration - not the self-blue gene. You can see where people may call it lavender on an informal basis, as many may know it by that name instead of the (accurate) name self-blue.

yup we here like the term lavender araucana or lavender orpington to describe some of our birds plumage color as to using the word self blue which can confuse some that don't know the difference between Andalusian blue and self blue..

couple shots of some of our seventh generation Lav Orp pullets, still to young to lay yet..no cockerel pics yet, got 2 grow out pens of 15 boys going at the moment ..well select soon..

Last edited:
Also, it is the lavender gene that causes this coloration - not the self-blue gene. You can see where people may call it lavender on an informal basis, as many may know it by that name instead of the (accurate) name self-blue.
You are 100% correct about it being the lavender gene that creates self blues/lavenders. I personally like it when I see a seller use the description self blue in an ad if they use the term lavender. It shows integrity and knowledge of their product and full disclosure to all potential buyers.

yup we here like the term lavender araucana or lavender orpington to describe some of our birds plumage color as to using the word self blue which can confuse some that don't know the difference between Andalusian blue and self blue..

couple shots of some of our seventh generation Lav Orp pullets, still to young to lay yet..no cockerel pics yet, got 2 grow out pens of 15 boys going at the moment ..well select soon..

It is good to see someone who has been breeding for more than a few years. I really like the very nice even color of your birds. If the breed clubs ever want the variety recognized it will be as self blue. I keep hearing the about the confusion caused by using the term between self blue and Andalusian blue. With a little education it is incredibly simple. The hard one to explain is Andalusian and that is not really that hard.

Ask any geneticist what they should be called and they will tell you Lavender. Self blue was used a long time ago for the blues that had no lacings prior to lavenders being around.

Ask any geneticist what they should be called and they will tell you Lavender. Self blue was used a long time ago for the blues that had no lacings prior to lavenders being around.
Where did you get the information concerning the etymology of the phrase Self Blue? My understanding of the term is that it is used to differentiate between blue birds that breed true & those that don't.

Back
Top Bottom