They ate an egg! :(

Oyster shell isn't a *safer* option than egg shell, but it is higher in calcium..... HOWEVER, it is cheaper and easier to source egg shell. Washing, air drying and crushing them is perfectly fine... just don't mix them into their feed as you don't want to *force feed* calcium to those chickens who don't need it... just shake the crushed shells out into their run/yard. :D

I'm guessing that in the fight for the premium nest box, one just got cracked and they ate it. Mine have done the same thing a couple times in the 1.5 years they've been laying, and I don't think it's any big deal. I've dropped an egg on the way out of the coop before and they cleaned it up and never tried to crack open their eggs otherwise.

I'm guessing that in the fight for the premium nest box, one just got cracked and they ate it. Mine have done the same thing a couple times in the 1.5 years they've been laying, and I don't think it's any big deal. I've dropped an egg on the way out of the coop before and they cleaned it up and never tried to crack open their eggs otherwise.

Oh good, that makes me feel better. I was worried it could become a habit or something. Thanks!

Hi :welcome
My girls ate a soft egg that broke, but they never broke any eggs. Hopefully yours was also a case where it broke while fighting over the nest box.

For that problem, I know it's hard & frustrating. :barnie
Do you have fake eggs in the other boxes? They like to lay where they think is safest, & think if someone else laid here, it must be safe.
I use golf balls.

Might help also to block off the one nestbox they always lay in, so that they are all forced to use a new spot.

Good luck & keep us posted!

I have not tried the fake eggs -- I'll do that today with some golf balls to see if that helps the fussing over THE preferred box for the rest of the week. Fingers crossed. Thank you!

Greetings Mom3timz,

Don't worry about this incident. Instead, do as peckpeckpeck suggested. Place some fake eggs in all of the nest boxes. Be sure to put some little marks on the fake eggs, so you don't accidentally collect them, too. Sometimes an egg breaks when a hen is trying to move it with their beak, or it can get cracked when the hen steps on it.

Hens also, get very upset when the nest is soiled by egg contents. When they try to tidy up, they taste the egg and discover it's edible. But, it's the hen that purposely waits for others to lay an egg and then goes into the nest box to break the egg and eat it, that has to be dealt with.

Thankfully, I have never had to deal with a hen for egg eating. Immediate clean up of the nest box in necessary. You don't want this to become a learned behavior by leaving the mess.

I also find that adding some curtains to the nest boxes, helps the hens to feel safer while laying their egg.

These are my thoughts on your egg issue, I hope they are helpful.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

Greetings Mom3timz,

Don't worry about this incident. Instead, do as peckpeckpeck suggested. Place some fake eggs in all of the nest boxes. Be sure to put some little marks on the fake eggs, so you don't accidentally collect them, too. Sometimes an egg breaks when a hen is trying to move it with their beak, or it can get cracked when the hen steps on it.

Hens also, get very upset when the nest is soiled by egg contents. When they try to tidy up, they taste the egg and discover it's edible. But, it's the hen that purposely waits for others to lay an egg and then goes into the nest box to break the egg and eat it, that has to be dealt with.

Thankfully, I have never had to deal with a hen for egg eating. Immediate clean up of the nest box in necessary. You don't want this to become a learned behavior by leaving the mess.

I also find that adding some curtains to the nest boxes, helps the hens to feel safer while laying their egg.

These are my thoughts on your egg issue, I hope they are helpful.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

Thank you!!

Even if it becomes a habit, put black curtain on the entrance of the nesting box to make the nesting box dark, then put some hard solid fake eggs in. problem solved, My hens always eat any broken egg, they don't break eggs to eat them

Oyster shell is a better source of calcium. A hen would need to consume the equivalent of 2-3 whole egg shells to provide enough calcium for one days worth. And the size of the particles matter as the hen will digest it overnight as her body creates the shell for the next days egg, and the larger the piece, the longer it lasts. Here's an article that explains more:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/08/for-strong-eggshells-size-matters/

I suspect an egg fell from the nest box.

It's a myth that chickens will learn to eat their own eggs from eating eggs. I feed my chickens eggs all the time, eggs that have cracks or are too dirty or old. I just smash em on the ground right in front of the birds and they eat them. If I don't smash them hard enough to properly crack and they are intact, they will peck once or twice and then leave it alone. If I don't break it open they won't touch it.

Chickens sometimes eat eggs seasonally as well as hormones shift in the early spring and late fall. Egg eating can be semi "normal" during these times.

Chickens that regularly eat eggs that are not broken should be removed from the flock if you can.

@JaeG and @ChocolateMouse have offered info filled with logic and reason.

Agrees with the fake eggs too, can really help 'spread the love',
tho there can still be bickering over a favorite nest.

@Mom3timz another aspect might be that you just got these birds a couple few weeks ago and they may still be settling in and establishing a pecking order.
Another aspect might be crowding, the 4x8 coop/run might be a bit tight for 5 birds.
ETA: do the nests have good tall front(4-6") to minimize the chance that eggs will be kicked out of nest?

Back
Top Bottom