They can fly

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
I let them out of the duck hut this morning and gave them some food on the deck since they didn't seem to want to leave it just yet. So I hung out with them and then picked up the food cup and filled up their dish down where they hang out most of the day. I told them to come on down and Cadbury walks to the stairs and goes down, one at a time, like she always does.
Blue is by the steps and JUMPS! Girl figured out how to use her wings and flew her butt off the steps down to the ground this morning.
Then Ally did the same thing. I told them they are runners, not fliers!
Both crash landed and ran over to me so I could tell them what a wonderful job they did and to tell me their wings weren't just ornamental like I always tell them LOL

Mine like to fly off the deck too. I guess it gives then pleasure of thinking they really can fly. The crash landing part will get better and eventually they land nicely. My deck is 3 feet off the ground.

Katherinad, I have sat on my Muskovy 7 times..
he.gif
now he flies at the fence to try to bite me.
somad.gif
I am fixing a new duck enclosure for him alone. Then when he gets fat enough I am going to have duck dinner.
thumbsup.gif
Darkwing is still a pet.. do I have to say I am going to eat her too??? With that new law - no pets just meat .. I do understand that releasing the Muskovies into the wild is a problem . but her wings are clipped now - should I call her "Dinner" instead of "Darkwing"?
smile.png

I was ready for flight yesterday with camera in hand. They walked down the steps.
Today, camera in hand again and Ally and Blue flew down.

Ally and Blue using their big girl wings. Cadbury long ago mastered walking down the steps, so she's not tried flying off them yet.

Ally jumped up and managed to get some good air!
IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

Blue - white ducks can't jump :lol
but they still can fly!
IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

White ducks can't land well either :lol
IMG_3106.jpg

"I'm ok!"
IMG_3107.jpg

I love the pictures!!

We call those "hop and flaps" around here.

We used to have this huge mound with a stump in the middle of the yard. One day I heard Mr. Duck quacking up a storm, and I look out and he's climbed up the mound and is standing on top of the stump. I'm pretty sure he was saying, "Everyone pay attention! I'm about to do something really amazing!" Then he backed up to the far edge of the stump (it was about 3' across), got a running start and JUMPED! He "flew" almost all the way to the outer fence, 30 feet or so. Then he was all, "Quack! Did you see that! Quack! Quack!" He was SO proud of himself. It was hilarious. I was glad we'd gotten to witness the whole thing.

Can I just say (again) how awesome ducks are?!
smile.png

Quote:
I heard they're correcting to law to make domestic keeping allowed. I'm sorry I don't have a link to give you but you can look into it before eating Darkwing.

Back
Top Bottom