1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They didn't hatch now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Firefighter315, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Firefighter315

Firefighter315 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Washington state
    I had a hen go broody on March 30th I don't have a rooster so I managed to get 5 fertile eggs from my neighbor. It's now been 26 days and nothing. Should I remove the eggs from under her? Also since she has gone broody once is their a good chance she will do so again in the future. If she will I will get a rooster. Any advise and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    I would candle the eggs and see what is happening in them, you would know then if they are still viable or not and what is actually happening with them. She may stay broody even if you remove them. If she were my hen I would break her from this so she has chance to recover from already being broody to gain some strength and weight agian. She may go broody again then.

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    She will defiantly go broody again. When she goes is another story. It could be right a way or it could be 6 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by