they don't eat greens..?

greensinger

Hatching
10 Years
May 6, 2009
So: I ran out of feed the day before the grain and feed store was closed, so I left the six-week-old chooks to their own devices for a couple of days, figuring that they'd forage for bugs and greens in their 10x20 enclosure. I check on them, of course, and replenish their water; I also bring food scraps and comfrey greens.

They won't touch anything that isn't feed, or moving.

I've watched them scratch and pick for bugs, and they rush up the moment I appear, looking for feed. But they won't touch anything else.

Any ideas why, or how I might get them used to eating other things? I've got feed now, so they won't die, but I'd been hoping to supplement with greens and table scraps...

I don't know what comfrey is so I Googled it and found this--

Comfrey should be harvested by using either shears a sickle or a scythe to cut the plant about 2 inches above the ground, taking care handling it because the leaves and stems are covered in hairs that can irritate the skin. It is advisable to wear gloves when handling comfrey.

and this

Internal usage of comfrey should be avoided because it contains hepatotoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs). (Note: there are also non-hepatotoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.) Use of comfrey can, because of these PAs, lead to veno-occlusive disease (VOD). VOD can in turn lead to liver failure, and comfrey, taken in extreme amounts, has been implicated in at least one death.[6] In 2001, the United States Food and Drug Administration issued a warning against internal usage of herbal products containing comfrey.

Maybe those chickens are being smart. I usually give mine weeds to eat (dirt on the roots and all) or leftover salad stuff, They really like watermelon!

i like to pick a few blades of grass or small plants that have just sprouted and hold it through the chicken wire

right now they will eat just about anything that is in my hand

Back
Top Bottom