They Don't Like Grapes?!

Chickenbiceps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Hey All,

So I was cleaning out my chicks brooder last night, and when I do, I put them in large printer box until their brooder is back up and running. I decided to throw in some cut up grapes and bits of kale as a treat for them while I cleaned out the brooder; I had seen a post on here on things they love, and grapes I believe was one of them. The dominant girl gave one peck and that was it. Not one touched them. They all took a couple swipes at the kale, but then decided that wasn't any good either.

So my question is, are my chicks just dumb as a box of rocks in not liking fresh grapes or am I just in possession of the Gordon Ramsey (or actually Julia Childs) of chicks? They are 3-4 weeks old if that makes any difference.

Hey All,

So I was cleaning out my chicks brooder last night, and when I do, I put them in large printer box until their brooder is back up and running. I decided to throw in some cut up grapes and bits of kale as a treat for them while I cleaned out the brooder; I had seen a post on here on things they love, and grapes I believe was one of them. The dominant girl gave one peck and that was it. Not one touched them. They all took a couple swipes at the kale, but then decided that wasn't any good either.

So my question is, are my chicks just dumb as a box of rocks in not liking fresh grapes or am I just in possession of the Gordon Ramsey (or actually Julia Childs) of chicks? They are 3-4 weeks old if that makes any difference.
I have found that chicks learn by example...The hen that raised chicks taught them what to eat, never had an issue with fruits. The chicks that are 5 weeks old that I hatched from the incubator wont touch watermelon and such, I actually have to pick off bits and toss it to them, by and by they will realize how and what to eat.

Back
Top Bottom