They go down but they won't go up?????

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
My silkies have been out in their new coop for over a month and I put a ramp out for them to come out. They will come down it most of the time. Some times they will come down half way and then jump the rest of the way.

But, I can not get them to go back up it at night. I have tried putting food on it, tried placing them on it to go back up but they just turn around and go back down. Maybe it’s too small. It’s 10” across, it's 4 feet long so I know it's not too steep.

Is there anything I can do to get them to go up it? When I go out right after it gets dark they are all cuddled up together on the ground.

Make sure there is enough light in the coop for them to see where they're going. Remember chickens have nearly zero night vision. It can easily be ok-bright outdoors but too-dark indoors, if the coop is poorly windowed or in a very shaded location. You might try adding windows, painting it white inside if it isn't already, and/or adding a 'nightlight', see if that trolls them in.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I had some cochins that took forever to figure it out too. I finally stood inside and enticed them with mealworms to come up the ramp. They did it right the next day
woot.gif

Quote:
My other chickens just go inside right before it gets dark. I though the silkies would be smart enought to do that to but I guess not. I don't have any power out there but I do have white paint. I'll try that. And I can add another window. Good idea's thank you.

If you can spare 10 bucks, get a crank flashlight at CVS. It needs no batteries or recharging, you just cranck it for about a minute, and it stays lit for about 20 minutes. Gives off enough of light to entice birds to go in. Just put it somewhere where it does not get pooped on
cool.png

I went to walmart and got some solar garden lights for less than $5 and I use them in the coop. It really helped and in the mornings when I let them down the retracting ladder I take out the lights and set them in the sun to recharge.

The lights are pretty bright! I had a reddish one too but I broke it.

Cal
Jax FL

I have some of those solar garden lights I'll try that tonight. Last night 5 of the 7 went in. I didn't have any cinder blocks but I put a couple of wooden boxes that were the rabbits nesting boxes. They were able to hop on them. Tonight I'll try the lights then I'll use my DS crank flashlight if they don't all go in. So many good ideas thanks.

My other chickens just go inside right before it gets dark. I though the silkies would be smart enought to do that to but I guess not.

Ummmmmm . . . They're silkies. Nuff said.
wink.png

Yeah, at the risk of getting the silkie fans angry, I have to say that I gave my silkies away for that very reason. I don't know if it was lack of intelligence or fear, because my ramp setup is a bit tricky but they couldn't figure out how to go up the ramp. all my other chickens figured it out the same day and I spent a week picking them up, putting them out... Finally gave them to a friend who had an easier ramp to manuever!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom