they have arrived

Getoutside

Hatching
7 Years
May 2, 2012
well our new additions arrived this morning, an assortment of 25 brown egg layers and 1 rare breed straight run. going to be exciting to see what they all end up being. I took them out of the box dipped their beak in the water set them down and watched them all take off running, really funny to watch. They all look good and didnt notice anything wrong with any. This is the first time that we have ever raised any chickens so any pointers to a new chicken person would be very appreciated.

Congrats on your new arrivals! I am the last person Who should be offering up advice here since I'm dealing with cocci, but thankfully there are many knowledgable folks here who can help you out. Enjoy your baby chicks!

there is one little white one in the batch with the others, she does not look like she is doing very well. Last night she almost looked like she was having a hard time breathing and then fell backwards a couple of times. I kept checking on her and after a while i saw her drinking and eating, still not getting around very well, and she is a lot smaller than all of the others. I checked on her this morning and everything seems to be ok, still a bit wobbly but still alive. All the other 26 chicks are running around having a good time so i guess i will just keep my eye on the "runt". If anyone has some opinions on this it would be appreciated. Thank you.

I had a couple like that too. I say just keep making sure they are drinking and eating. Thats about all you can do. Mine like that pulled out of it ok.

Also, I gave mine little rest breaks by removing them from the rest of the bunch and putting them in their own box within the brooder. It allowed them to get good rest without being trampled by the others. But I always did it for just a few hours at a time so that the rest of the flock wouldn't forget who she was and treat her like a stranger.

Congrats on your new babies! I am also new to this but I just read the forums, listen to the Chicken Whisper podcast.

You asked for some tips.Newborns should have an area that is about 95 degrees. You can use a heat lamp or ordinary incandescent light bulb with red being the preferred color to reduce any aggression that might occur. You can reduce the temperature about 5 degrees per week till they are fully feathered. Do not try to heat the whole brooder. A warm area and a cool area where they can escape to if overheated. Watch them and you can tell if they are too hot or cold. If in a pile like sardines directly under the light they are cold. They will tend to sleep together but not so tightly packed if comfortable. If they get as far from the lamp as possible with mouths open panting it's too hot. Might divide off a section of he brooder for the weaker one with a screen so they can still see each other but not make contact till a little stronger. Congrats on your little ones and best of luck.

as of this morning the little white one seems to be doing much better, actually running around and seems to have much better balance than before so hopefully it will make it. all others seem to be doing really good as well, and man those little things can eat lol.

Congratulations on your new chicks! I hope the white one continues to improve.

Back
Top Bottom