THEY HAVE SHIPPED!

The honey and saving the bees is a motivating factor for us. I make sublime candy with egg whites, hot honey and rosewater & nuts called torrone that is a traditional Italian nougat candy mostly gifted at Christmas that my friends all lose their minds over. And we want to make mead/honey wine and honey is awesome in general!

We've owned our house 8 years but the last 7 it really got neglected b/c I got sick and was in the hospital for 3.5 years, it's coming up on 2 years since my last hospitalization, which is great!!

Just this May I decided to start working on our property, everything was neglected, overgrown, trash everywhere. It was sad. I started with a pair of hand held rosecutter snips and began in my front yard and now WOW!!

I have done a lot this year, but my budget was screaming tight, otherwise I would have done more. I have gotten my huge maple tree cut down to open up my backyard to grow veggies in my raised garden bed that my 24 dp meaties and now 6 muscovy ducks are prepping for spring planting. Next I'm preparing bokashi to spray everywhere when I harvest my crops over the next few weeks and after we process a bunch of my ducks and chickens it will be so quiet around here. I will reduce my flock down to 9 in my laying flock, 3 ducks, 19 chicks are in my barn, 10 I think are pullets, 2 will move to my laying flock when they're big enough, the others into a coop/run that hasn't been built yet, but we have most of the materials to do it.

I'm making my first batch of ginger beer now, I've almost finished the ginger bug. I need to go pick up spent grains from the home brew store up the street later. Busy busy!!

The honey and saving the bees is a motivating factor for us. I make sublime candy with egg whites, hot honey and rosewater & nuts called torrone that is a traditional Italian nougat candy mostly gifted at Christmas that my friends all lose their minds over. And we want to make mead/honey wine and honey is awesome in general!

We've owned our house 8 years but the last 7 it really got neglected b/c I got sick and was in the hospital for 3.5 years, it's coming up on 2 years since my last hospitalization, which is great!!

Just this May I decided to start working on our property, everything was neglected, overgrown, trash everywhere. It was sad. I started with a pair of hand held rosecutter snips and began in my front yard and now WOW!!

I have done a lot this year, but my budget was screaming tight, otherwise I would have done more. I have gotten my huge maple tree cut down to open up my backyard to grow veggies in my raised garden bed that my 24 dp meaties and now 6 muscovy ducks are prepping for spring planting. Next I'm preparing bokashi to spray everywhere when I harvest my crops over the next few weeks and after we process a bunch of my ducks and chickens it will be so quiet around here. I will reduce my flock down to 9 in my laying flock, 3 ducks, 19 chicks are in my barn, 10 I think are pullets, 2 will move to my laying flock when they're big enough, the others into a coop/run that hasn't been built yet, but we have most of the materials to do it.

I'm making my first batch of ginger beer now, I've almost finished the ginger bug. I need to go pick up spent grains from the home brew store up the street later. Busy busy!!
SO happy to hear its been a good stretch since your last hospital visit!!!! Woop woop!!!! :eek:)

I hear ya with clearing things out.... we bought our house 2 years ago and it was COMPLETELY over grown.... we spent a lot of time and money to get it where it is today!!! and there is still more to do... never ending! I still really want to convince my husband that we should get bees... i am afraid our property is not big enough though so they would be a bit of a nuisance. we will see! only time will tell...

If I understand correctly, if you set them up in the right place, they're pretty happy.

We have a bunch of rocks in a stretch behind one of our garages that doesn't get much traffic and is out of the way that we're planning for bees in the spring.

Wow haven't been on here in a while. Double Kindness it's good to hear that you've been out of the hospital and doing good for two years. I wish all of you luck with your bees. Me myself, I can't stand them. Love honey to make homemade granola bars with though, but anything that flies around me I don't get along with.

So the playpen method I did worked great. All the girls are happy with one another. While you can tell there are two groups of them, at least there is no pecking and everyone gets a chance at the food and water. I still need to get pictures of everyone. My brahma still has a lot more black then what it's supposed to and I cannot for the life of me tell my Jersey giant and Australorp apart.

I also think one of my EEs is close to laying. She has had a really red face for the past couple weeks so I am hopeful for eggs before winter starts.

I haven't been on here recently either SMonroe! Great to see you again :), it's been a while since we've talked. I remember getting the baby chicks, they are much bigger now though, but baby, the Belgian D'Uccle bantam looks funny next to all the bigger chickens. I might take a pic when I get home. Great to hear from you again! :)

I haven't been on here recently either SMonroe! Great to see you again
smile.png
, it's been a while since we've talked. I remember getting the baby chicks, they are much bigger now though, but baby, the Belgian D'Uccle bantam looks funny next to all the bigger chickens. I might take a pic when I get home. Great to hear from you again!
smile.png

It's good to hear from you again also.
smile.png
I am going to try to get some pictures of my girls today. They are all getting so big and the littles are doing amazingly with the bigger ones. They barely fought when I put them together after taking the dog crate out. I would love to see some pictures of your girls. Is the belgian the only bantam you have? I honestly cannot remember. I think maybe I'll take my cell phone and go snap a couple of pictures in a few minutes to put up.

It's good to hear from you again also.
smile.png
I am going to try to get some pictures of my girls today. They are all getting so big and the littles are doing amazingly with the bigger ones. They barely fought when I put them together after taking the dog crate out. I would love to see some pictures of your girls. Is the belgian the only bantam you have? I honestly cannot remember. I think maybe I'll take my cell phone and go snap a couple of pictures in a few minutes to put up.

So, did you get any pictures to show??
smile.png

So, did you get any pictures to show??
smile.png

Yes I did get some pictures. I just get so side tracked that I forget what I am doing sometimes.

I did have one of my chickens get out a couple of weeks ago. Stayed around the house and managed to survive for a whole week before we were able to catch it again. I was pleasantly surprised that it survived that long. I am unfortunately still waiting for eggs though. I am hopeful that if I put a light to simulate daylight that maybe I will get some before next spring. Anyone else have any pictures to share?

Back
Top Bottom