They keep fighting

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
First let me state all ducks' ages. Colonel is 2 years old, Duchess is 2 years old, Kaeda is 1 years old, and our 3 youngest females are going to be 4 months old at the end of this month. Colonel is currently separated as I didn't want his females pulling at where he's molting.

I'm not honestly sure who is starting the fights but I do know that Colonel is involved in all. And yes, they are fighting because they keep grabbing the front of their faces and the top of their heads near the front. Kaeda almost tried to take out Colonel's eye when they fought an hour ago.
I know the difference between fighting and mating.

Does anyone know why they keep fighting???

I've raised my share of ducks. I've never had a duck take on a drake. They will defend themselves from mating but not to intentionally go after a drake. What kind of ducks are they?

I've raised my share of ducks. I've never had a duck take on a drake. They will defend themselves from mating but not to intentionally go after a drake. What kind of ducks are they?
Colonel is a Khaki Campbell.
Duchess and Kaeda are Indian Runners.

Youngsters:
Lil Quack, Duchess & Colonel's daughter, is a KC/Indian Runner mix.
Pinto and Banshee are Welsh Harlequins.

Colonel is a Khaki Campbell.
Duchess and Kaeda are Indian Runners.

Youngsters:
Lil Quack, Duchess & Colonel's daughter, is a KC/Indian Runner mix.
Pinto and Banshee are Welsh Harlequins.
You could try separating the bully female and see how that goes. I'd put the drake back in. Someone is the bully. If time out doesn't work place one. I won't tolerate aggression. It isn't fair to the birds who aren't trouble makers to suffer at the hands of those who are.

I don't know why your ducks are fighting, but from observing my own ducks I would guess it has something to do with the social hierarchy or resources.
Is there a possibility that our females are frustrated that he isn't mating with them? Before all this fighting started, they kept trying to get him to mate with them but with him molting, he isn't interested.

Is there a possibility that our females are frustrated that he isn't mating with them? Before all this fighting started, they kept trying to get him to mate with them but with him molting, he isn't interested.
Do they have access to food 24/7 or do you only feed at certain times of the day?
Do the fights happen in water or nowhere near water?
When you say youngsters how young?

Do they have access to food 24/7 or do you only feed at certain times of the day?
Do the fights happen in water or nowhere near water?
When you say youngsters how young?
No, only certain times because they free range with the chickens.
Nowhere near water.
Ages stated at top of first post.

Back
Top Bottom