They keep fighting

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
First let me state all ducks' ages. Colonel is 2 years old, Duchess is 2 years old, Kaeda is 1 years old, and our 3 youngest females are going to be 4 months old at the end of this month. Colonel is currently separated as I didn't want his females pulling at where he's molting.

I'm not honestly sure who is starting the fights but I do know that Colonel is involved in all. And yes, they are fighting because they keep grabbing the front of their faces and the top of their heads near the front. Kaeda almost tried to take out Colonel's eye when they fought an hour ago.
I know the difference between fighting and mating.

Does anyone know why they keep fighting???

I don't know why your ducks are fighting, but from observing my own ducks I would guess it has something to do with the social hierarchy or resources.
Is there a possibility that our females are frustrated that he isn't mating with them? Before all this fighting started, they kept trying to get him to mate with them but with him molting, he isn't interested.

Is there a possibility that our females are frustrated that he isn't mating with them? Before all this fighting started, they kept trying to get him to mate with them but with him molting, he isn't interested.
That's a good theory. In my opinion ducks are emotionally complicated animals. Do they head bob at him, or make other mating request behaviors like laying/sitting down with their backs flat soon before the fighting begins?

I don't have a drake, but my females mate each other everyday. They always make very specific body language requests moments before.

No, only certain times because they free range with the chickens.
Nowhere near water.
Ages stated at top of first post.
Sorry I don't know why I didn't see the ages at the top🤦 If I had to guess though they're fighting over food. How big is the area they have to free range? My ducks have 30 acres to free range and still go over to their food dishes several times during the day. Even with them foraging all day with access to their feed, they will also through a bit more feed at night. I have found over the years that keeping the appropriate weight on ducks can actually be hard without that 24/7 access to their feed. They're like trying to feed sprouting teenagers with high metabolisms. Don't get me wrong, my ducks are always out there chasing bugs and I have never found that providing feed prevented them from being great foragers, but they still like to come back to the barn all hours of the day to eat their feed.

That's a good theory. In my opinion ducks are emotionally complicated animals. Do they head bob at him, or make other mating request behaviors like laying/sitting down with their backs flat soon before the fighting begins?

I don't have a drake, but my females mate each other everyday. They always make very specific body language requests moments before.
Not right before a fight starts but they were doing that days before the first fight

All domestic ducks especially young ones need feed out at least all daylight hours. Unless in a brooder. This is what I think, not saying others haven't had great healthy ducks without feeding them even when foraging. But Young ducks still growing or getting ready to lay need alot of nourishment.
We went through a pretty hot spell a week ago and it is the first time I ever saw my Runner girls pushing and shoving each other and neck wrestling. They are 5 yrs old. It didn't last long but I was pretty surprised. I saw it 2X it may have happened more,

I've raised my share of ducks. I've never had a duck take on a drake. They will defend themselves from mating but not to intentionally go after a drake. What kind of ducks are they?

Back
Top Bottom