They killed my babies... and got away with it. :(

I find it very interesting that several peoples responses changed when they found out that the OP was a student and presumably a minor. I don't believe that that should have any bearing on action that should be taken. 1. The teacher should be notified and compensation from the "thief's" parents should be requested. 2. If no action is taken by the teacher, this should be brought to the attention of the principal.

I am downright sick and tired of people writing off responsibility just because the perpetrator is a child. Then, years later, they are frustrated when the same child is an adult committing offenses and not expecting consequences. If my child stole someone else's eggs, they'd be working and paying the owner any and all money that they earned until the debt was paid and that isn't including any additional punishment that will have been earned (taking away car, groundings, whatever).

Last edited:
Quote:
i totally agree with you...i am a minor and i think my peers dont really consider their actions and then the concequences becuase they know that they wont get punished to severly...this kid should be seriously punished

Quote:
I understand what you are saying.
The 'change' I had when I realized the OP was a minor, is the fact that it should be his/her parents that pursue compensation for the stolen eggs & chicks.
In the same way the thief's parents should step up and fix what their kid did, the OP's parents should take responsibility for their kid, and help her/him be compensated for the stolen eggs.
Oh boy, if it was MY DD that got her eggs stolen, you can bet I would be on the phone to the other parents, principle, AG program director, and police if need be.
The poor kid is obviously devastated, and rightfully so! I just think the parents should help fix the problem.
If the OP's parents do nothing, what kind of a message will it be sending!?
"It's okay to get your stuff stolen, just state the obvious, post a new rule stating you CAN'T STEAL, and move on."
I think there are life lessons from BOTH kids to be learned from this experience.

That really sucks to have been that close to having chicks and have this happen. You certainly have all my sympathies and I hope that in addition to just making a new rule somebody sits down and has a Stern Talk with people.

I'd just like to comment though that y'all have no way of knowing if the chicks-in-eggs were actually eaten. It seems vanishingly unlikely. Broken out of the shell, sure, but eaten? I sincerely doubt it. (That is not to say a person mightn't *say* they'd eaten 'em, just to be crude or gross or bullyish or whatever).

Just sayin',

Pat

Quote:
AMEN!

Bricheze: Please get your parents involved but even if they do not, you have the right to complain to the Principal, School Administrator, and the school board (I did when I was in High School) and ask for compensation AND changes in the rules. DO NOT LET IT GO! I know it is a hassle and the end of the year is coming up but do not drop this issue or it will happen again. Do not let the attitude of 'they were just chickens' preside. If it was a calculator or a purse or a item from a teacher they would not have such an attitude. You need to present the situation to the teacher (and so on....) in that manner.

Just my 2 cents; PLEASE keep everyone posted with what happens!

Yes- I agree that you should do something..........make a big deal about it..17 years old that is no excuse! People wonder why children and teenagers get away with so much these days, and I think that it is due to not being responsible for their bad behaviors. I would press charges, threaten to contact a lawyer, tell the parents you are going to do that and be RELENTLESS! I would be! Unless, is the 17 year old mentally challenged? Well, in that case he still needs to do what he did was w-r-o-n-g!

Someone that eats fully formed chicks has to be a complete psycho! That's just terrible!
somad.gif

You shouldn't just let this slip away.

Quote:
I understand what you are saying.
The 'change' I had when I realized the OP was a minor, is the fact that it should be his/her parents that pursue compensation for the stolen eggs & chicks.
In the same way the thief's parents should step up and fix what their kid did, the OP's parents should take responsibility for their kid, and help her/him be compensated for the stolen eggs.
Oh boy, if it was MY DD that got her eggs stolen, you can bet I would be on the phone to the other parents, principle, AG program director, and police if need be.
The poor kid is obviously devastated, and rightfully so! I just think the parents should help fix the problem.
If the OP's parents do nothing, what kind of a message will it be sending!?
"It's okay to get your stuff stolen, just state the obvious, post a new rule stating you CAN'T STEAL, and move on."
I think there are life lessons from BOTH kids to be learned from this experience.

I remember my first real encounter with the law at age 17, still a minor. A fellow student actually considered 'slow' stopped to talk to me at my part time job. After finishing he asked a young lady to give him a ride where as he then sexually assaulted her. When the detective, a family friend, asked for my help I did not need at that age to contact my parents I knew what was right.

The detective drove me home where I located my year book to let the detective use for a photo lineup. The detective took me along through the whole process, where she identified her attacker, I showed them where he lived and he was placed in custody. Not once did I consider my parents I was of a age where I knew right from wrong. My father shook my hands when the detective informed him of my cooperation followed by a big hug.

I do believe the parents are important for support, but when it boils down to the nitty gritty, it is her decision as to follow up. A child, teenager, young adult should never feel any pressure to NOT report a crime. It is part of our civic duty.

Now the offense in this case is no where near as serious. The op vented got some good advice. And appears to have made her decision on how to handle it. I support her decision though it is not the one I would have made. It is her conscious and her loss to deal with.

To be honest at this point I cannot see where the thread can go from here. Venting took place, advice and suggestions, and comfort was offered. OP made a choice and it is her choice, I think this is really over, and nothing more can be accomplished by picking it apart anymore.

OP you have my and I am sure everybody's best wishes and condolences. I hope things improve from here and you get the opportunity of the joy of hatching your own chicks. It is awesome. I will bow out from this thread as I don't think there is anymore that I can say other than good luck.

Back
Top Bottom