They like the scratch better than the crumbles???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sparkles2307, Sep 10, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

My 6 week old pullets like the ground barley/corn scratch better than their crumbles. Is that ok? They eat up ALL they can get of the scratch and only eat the crumbles once they've cleaned up all the scratch...I used to come home to almost ampty feeders, but since I gave them scratch the feeders are at least half full when I get home and the scratch is GONE. Just want to be sure they arent going to get sick?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's like offering kids M&Ms or carrot sticks.....they're gonna choose the candy over a healthy snack.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Scratch is meant as a treat thats why they like it more, they need their crumbles on a steady basis and lay off the scratch for only a once in a while treat.
    AL

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

The best way to give them Scratch is to toss it around in the coop, run, or yard by the handful. Let them hunt and "scratch" for it. It gives them a treat and lets them use their natural scratching instincts. Give them a feeder full of it, and they'll never get the nutrition they need from the crumbles. Scratch doesn't have near enough protein or other nutrients to be a healthy food replacer.

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

OK, so do the mean mom thing [​IMG] As my 5 yo says "You're the meanest mom I EVER had!" I guess the chicks will be in line with him now...I'll have to start giving out numbers to complainers!

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I think of scratch, not as a food, but as a treat or a snack. Great for spreading around by the handful so they can "scratch" for it and enjoy their yummy finds.

7. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I feed whole corn plus soybean meal to my year old Isa Browns and they are laying 90%plus everyday. They do free range. I give 1/2 oz. of the soybean meal daily to each bird plus all the corn they want. It sure cuts the feed cost. The soybean meal cost 25 cents a pound and I get whole corn for $4.00 a burshel which is 56 lbs.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Yep, Scratch is junk food. It is good for luring chickens into certain areas. I gotta use it to get my turkeys into the pen before they roost outside. However, they could be smarter than me and 'tricking' me into thinking I need to be giving them scratch to pen up. [​IMG]

9. toxo

toxo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Gillingham, UK
    Quote:Just love that!

10. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I dont give my girls much scratch during the year.... I save it for the fall and winter, and early spring when the weather here is bad and they are cooped up for the most part.

Then they go to town lol but they dont get a lot.... just as a treat occasionally thru the day. They need to eat their real food <pellets and vegies/fruits> first! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by