They must have suffocated!! I'm heartbroken!!

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
This is how my chicks sleep and this morning we found the two that were in the very corner dead. They were all snuggled up together and just.....dead??? The only thing I can think of is that they suffocated. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SAD!! One was my wheaton marans Summer, and one was a dark brahma. I am just sick about it. Someone had suggested a few days ago that I section off the place to make it smaller, but they run all over the place during the day so I didn't do it. I also know that even indoors in the brooder they all slept in a pile. Now I am just kicking myself black and blue for not trying it!!

And yes, I have thought that I deserve this after my post about losing them, so please don't beat me up anymore about that.
hit.gif

DSCN2537.jpg

Oh that is so sad. I am sorry you lost them. It could happen anytime when they pile up. My girls were doing that and I lowered the lamp so that they spread out a bit. They have since stopped doing it. No one will beat you up about your post...I thought it was neat. ***Hugs***

Sorry for your loss
sad.png

Is it not warm enough for them? I have heard that they will do that if they are cold. I still have a heat lamp out in the coop for the young chicks myself. I imagine they would not snuggle up that badly if they were warm enough
idunno.gif

Last edited:
It is actually very warm in there day and night and they are all completely feathered out. They youngest at this point is 7 weeks (there are only 2 this young) and the older ones are 3 to 3 and a half months. I am almost worried about when it gets warmer, how it is going to be too warm in there for them. We are having 70-80 degree days and nights in the 50-60's. When we got home last night at 10 pm it was 72. So I know it is not because they are cold. But maybe they are scared of the dark and having a hard time adjusting to the total dark at night.

I have read that if you can get them started using 'practice perches' that may override their instinct to pile together. Dunno whether yours are old enough for that yet tho?

Pat

I'm so sorry about you losing a couple of your chicks!
hugs.gif

I'm certainly no expert...but I have books! In one of them it says you should make the corners rounded so they can get away if there is a tendency to pile up...and not get wedged into a corner. Maybe you could staple a piece of cardboard in the corner to make it rounded instead of a 90° corner. Just be sure to make the cardboard high enough so none of the chicks can accidentally get behind it!! And staple it down really good.

I agree with the roosting. My 5 week olds roost at night. If you are not sure how you are going to put up roosts yet in there, i have a suggestion. I put a 2X4 on a couple of cinder blocks out in the run and they love to roost on it. If you have stuff laying around like that, it might keep them from piling up for now. Good luck.....i hope you dont have to go through this again. I can imagine how you must feel
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom