They must love me.. maybe just a little?

oandrea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
DFW, Texas
Everynight before bed I let my girls get out and run around in the back yard. Normally I stay outside with them but tonight I had to go inside and so I had my eldest sit outside with them. When I came back out he had already rounded them up (not that he needs to do that) and I thought to myself it was too early so I opened their door (to the run) for them again. So of course they came out again and just peeped around the yard. I was sitting at my table watching them with the kids and all 4 of them came over to me(even my really shy one). The bold one (Ebony) jumped up on the arm of my chair and then so did the Red (we call her Red Sparkle). Then they were in my lap and the other two more reserved and flightly chickens jumped up in my lap. They were looking me in the face and tried to lay down. I thought that Ebony was going to try to jump up on my head, she appeared to be eyeing me that way. It was really really strange to me. Is this normal? I am still in shock. Even my husband came out and was in awe...

Hey maybe your the chick whisperer? Heck the closest mine have gotten to me has been all trying to get in my hand with the feed when they were a few weeks old. Now they just stand around my ankles and bawaaakkkk for food.

It would had made for a great picture if someone had a camera.

yeah I was thinking the same thing after, I think we were all just too shocked to think about anything else. Maybe they will do it again tomorrow night. I will have my camera ready!

i had a roo who would come when I called him for a scratch and would get depressed if I couldn't for a couple of days

Obe and Tahti both will sit in my lap and nuzzle me 'til they fall asleep. Ben has to be within a couple of feet of me ..or he has fits, I swear!
tongue.png
And the Triplets ..still little girls... jump up and down and act like wild children when I get anywhere within sight. They love to preen and pick at my fingers, too. (they are still in a brooder of sorts ...just a few weeks old.. and reside on my desk when I'm not working on too big of a project)

Chickens can be very endearing when they want to ..or when they want some thing!
wink.png

I bought a Sebright Roo from a friend. He is a chow hound, so expect him to come running to me everytime I walk outside. But lately he not only jumps up into my lap to check for treats, he snuggles up and goes to sleep.

This is Colonel Rhett Butler...on top of my hat!
12167_100_2140.jpg

love.gif

My golden comets do that, they are showing you that they understand your involvement in your survival. What a declaration of trust that they use you as a human roost and let you pet them! I had a pullet begin doing all those things out of the blue, at 11 weeks. I bet your entire flock will be your little buddies before long. I keep a bale of hay in their covered run for this kind of socialization and there's a platform above it. Eventually your girls will leap into your arms.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
It makes me happy to know they trust me. They have only been with us for just over 2 weeks so it seems soon for them to develope this much trust in me but I do check on them often during the day
smile.png

I must be doing something right by them YAY!!!

Of COURSE they love you! Chickens know nice people... especially the ones that feed them and let them play outside.

I have a Buff Orp who enjoys lap time, a sultan that PREFERS to be held instead of getting run over by the big girls, and a polish crested that likes to jump up on my shoulder from behind me - which pretty much scares the bejeebers outta me every day. haha!

Enjoy your chickens!

Wow! I am working with my girls trying to gain their trust, but they are just being chicken. I hold the bucket of feed down and try to pet them while I feed them. They just jump away :mad: I want my girls to come sit one me just like yours did!!!

Back
Top Bottom