They said my polish had to much black in her creast....

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
Just go back from the chicken show! none of my chickies won but my white crested black polish pullet almost placed. From what I understand they said something about her having to much black on her crest. IMO she has much less black than others I have seen, Later I am going to post some pics and get opinions on the birds I chose to show since so far I haven't gotten the judges comments. This was just a backyard poultry show but let me know what yall think. I will update with photos soon!

The purty Polish with very little color in the crest are plucked.
wink.png
Yes, you should breed for the correct coloring in the crest, but most folks clean them up for show, too. Plucking won't fix an otherwise bad (split, misshapen, too small/too large) crest, but a bit of grooming helps.

On the polish website it says to pluck any black feathers as they come in, and that after about three times a white feather will grow in. Note tht the very front feathers are supposed to be black (or blue or chocolate if that is the base colour of the bird). Now I haven't really tried with my wcblack hen.

For my wcchocolate pullet, her crest came in almost completely white from the start.

rather than posting a whole new thread perhaps i can piggyback some photos of my new bantam white crested black polish here as well, im wondering how his crest looks, a lot of black in it :S

cockeral (~6 months)
030.jpg

photos of the pullet to come

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom