1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

they say it isn't possible but...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Endur50, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Endur50

Endur50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    My BOxRIR hen lays 7 or 8 days in a row, then takes one day off. The day before yesterday she took her one day off. Yesterday morning DH saw her in the nesting box in the a.m. That afternoon I went out to collect, but only my Araucana had laid. I was worried that she was perhaps egg bound, but she free ranged, ran around, ate etc like normal. Chalked it up to the sweltering heat. Today I got home (8h shift, so got home early, at 4) and went out to collect and found a brown egg in the nesting box, and another brown egg next to it!! She laid two in one day, and pretty close together time wise as well. I know it wasn't another chicken because the only other I have is my araucana. What was really odd was that one of the eggs was rough looking, and had a white bullseye pattern on it. I tried to take a picture but the flash washed it out. Weird.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That is weird. [​IMG]

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Chickens are amazing....and the egglaying process is amazing.

I have heard that one egg can get formed around another egg---producing an 'egg-within-an-egg' --complete with two shells.... so it is a known phenomena that eggs can be close together in the oviduct. Interesting result that your hen produced two eggs in close proximity.

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    it kind of sounds like she was egg bound but the next egg helped her pudh it out.. thank goodness. what a special little hen

)O(
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by