They Squatted.....

I think the squatting is tied to egg laying maturity, but I don't think it's neccessarily only a week or 2 before eggs. Squatting is a sign of maturity (ready to breed), and ready to breed means ready to lay eggs. Comb and waddles will also turn dark red (as opposed to the pale, or pinkish color). Some of mine have been squatting for a few weeks yet with no eggs though.

And yes, squatting is a submissive posture, but baby chicks don't do it; only pullets about to reach egg laying, and chickens that are already laying will squat. I do believe it's a sign of eggs to come soon. (But soon can mean up to a month in my opinion.)

Yes, the squatting is a submissive action, and is tied to sexual maturity. This isn't the simple crouch and wait kinda in fear, this is squatting and slightly spreading the wings - not opening them, just holding them a tad away from the body and slightly down - to receive the rooster. If she happens to squat for YOU, it means she's submissive to you as The Boss, as if for a rooster. But they don't start doing it until they get closer to being able to lay eggs. They also won't squat for a rooster they don't like. Squatting for you is a compliment.
big_smile.png

I have an EGG!!!! it's form one of the girls that squatted too......my very first, and she didn't even make much noise I saw her come down outta the roost and she boked some then came out of the coop I just happened to look in the nests just out of habit and there it was, in the same box as the plastic egg I put in there!!! I am thrilled. And she happens to be my favorite hen, she will jump on my leg and eat treats. The pic is in 1st Eggs topic

Congratulations on your first egg from your hen! I have just come back in the house to see if mine (5-6 weeks) are still alive after thier second night in their run. Everybody was accounted for and no signs of predators trying to get in. 3 of them were sitting on the sticks I put in for roosting...they were so cute!

Quote:
TKS!, I haven't been out this morning and can hear them boking ready for their morning treat and to be let out! Yours are really young! I am glad I got mine older not sure I could survive the wait for the eggs from the young ones..
big_smile.png

Congratulations! That's so awesome!
I've talked with a few other chicken owners that don't realize what the squatting means, to be honest, I didn't until I read it on here either. Love this forum!

My one girl, has been laying for a year, 1 eggs ever day. When she sees me she comes running and when she gets close she squats. I reach down and scratch her from head to tail, she loves it. When I call her she comes, when I say nite nite she goes into her coop, onto her perch. I walk over tap her sleeping box and on she goes, as I walk out the door I scratch her head. some of course are friendlier than others and I wish I had 50 of her.

Back
Top Bottom