They start laying eggs when?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alleyoops25, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok now I havebeen waiting for my birds to start laying. they are now five months old. How much longer until they start to lay eggs. Here its gettin g to the end of summer and I would like them to start laying before it gets cold? Can anyone shed some light on this ?

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay alley.... [​IMG] .... you know what they say... 17 to 23 weeks... [​IMG] what type and how old in weeks???

luv ya hun... tes

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pretty much when they're good and ready, LOL. I have a Buff Brahma who is now going on 26 weeks who has not laid yet and my Blue Orp started at 25 weeks. Alot depends on somewhat on the breed, early or late maturing. Which breeds do you have, sorry, I forgot?
    Also, there are individual differences within the breed as well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, you can expect eggs any day now....
    I know for sure that is an exciting day when you find the first egg. Most pullets will lay all winter long. Good Luck!

bigzio

5. rrrsmom

rrrsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2007
    salt lake city, Ut
    I don't know much about this but my barred rock must have started at 16 weeks. She's been laying for a good two weeks and she was an easter chick. All of my others... all the same age... RIR, Americanas, golden comet, sexlink... no sign of eggs yet. I think my barred rock was a fluke. I would say count on 23 or 24 weeks and then you won't be disappointed.

6. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Last week when mine were this age, I turned on a single drop light in the coop at dusk and left it on until 11pm. Two days later I found my first eggs.

My layers have since produced eggs every day except for one. One night I forgot to turn on the light and there were zero eggs the next day. It may be coincidence or just random correlation, but I'm sold on the added light to stimulate them.

I just used one standard 'heat lamp' drop cord with a regular flood light bulb (sans heat).

Happy hunting!
    Polychickens

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I have 14 girls right now. Of my original 9 who were born back in March, 6 are active layers and have been for about 5 weeks now. 3 of them still haven't laid their first egg. I figured they weren't going to start laying til the end of July or beginning of August and they started in early July. My girls are NHR and RIW. My BSL pullets should start laying in the next couple of weeks. They were born in April. Since they are already letting my roo mount them, and they are starting to squawk when someone else is laying an egg, I'm thinkig their time of laying is coming quite soon.

8. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    My girls are hatched in March and no eggs yet.....I am so excited about eggs...
    Everybody is asking....Are there eggs yet..........I can't wait to beable to say YES!!!!!!

9. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    My DH told me to go out and sqeeze em to see if I could an egg to pop out.[​IMG] Either that or he said he could hook an air compressure up to the front end and may be it would shoot an egg out the other end. [​IMG] Thank god he was only joking, but I when he said this I imediatly imagined like a cartoon chicken getting blown up like a balloon.And then start floating off.[​IMG] He is so wierd but funny.

10. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Mine started at about 20-21 weeks. They will have been laying a month tomorrow. I have 4 laying and I have gotten 55 eggs so far. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by