They stopped eating

zippitydooda

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Ottawa, Ohio
I have 15 hens. I've used the same feed brand from the same store for 2 years. This last bag they simply wont touch. I know they have to be hungry, so I've let them out to free range but there can't be much food since it is February. I hate to throw the bag away. I just bought it. It has been stored in the same container with a lid, never got wet, smells the same as always, looks the same (no weird bugs or debris). I can't figure it out. Could the feed be spoiled and they know something I don't?

Tonight I gave them some scratch and BOSS to hold them off until I go back to the feed store. Would you take the bag back? Would you switch brands? Ideas? Suggestions?

If you have been buying same brand, from the same store for 2 years - I would take the bag back as I'm betting your birds know something you don't &/or you could call the maker of the feed and see what they say? Maybe it will get you some "free" feed coupons
wink.png
from them.

I had a bag of feed like that. Same brand as always and smelled and looked fine but the birds would not eat it. I finally threw it out and got a new bag. The birds gobbled up the feed from the new bag so I know something was wrong with it. I was not confident about getting any more bags until the feed store got a fresh batch. Fortunately I had enough other feed to it last until the feed store got a new shipment. I never was sure what it was they could smell or taste.

I would not feed it!! We had two rabbits a couple of years ago. They were young and quite healthy. I bought a new bag of feed,and they hardly ate, and within a week, they both died. It was not from starving, because we also gave them hay and greens, so I think the bag had something terrible in it. I had fed the same brand for three years, never a problem until that bag. I will never make the mistake of thinking I should not waste food again.

Back
Top Bottom