They stopped eating

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by zippitydooda, Feb 25, 2012.

1. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    I have 15 hens. I've used the same feed brand from the same store for 2 years. This last bag they simply wont touch. I know they have to be hungry, so I've let them out to free range but there can't be much food since it is February. I hate to throw the bag away. I just bought it. It has been stored in the same container with a lid, never got wet, smells the same as always, looks the same (no weird bugs or debris). I can't figure it out. Could the feed be spoiled and they know something I don't?

Tonight I gave them some scratch and BOSS to hold them off until I go back to the feed store. Would you take the bag back? Would you switch brands? Ideas? Suggestions?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    If you have been buying same brand, from the same store for 2 years - I would take the bag back as I'm betting your birds know something you don't &/or you could call the maker of the feed and see what they say? Maybe it will get you some "free" feed coupons [​IMG] from them.

3. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I had a bag of feed like that. Same brand as always and smelled and looked fine but the birds would not eat it. I finally threw it out and got a new bag. The birds gobbled up the feed from the new bag so I know something was wrong with it. I was not confident about getting any more bags until the feed store got a fresh batch. Fortunately I had enough other feed to it last until the feed store got a new shipment. I never was sure what it was they could smell or taste.

4. crchickens

crchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Blue Ridge, TX
    I would not feed it!! We had two rabbits a couple of years ago. They were young and quite healthy. I bought a new bag of feed,and they hardly ate, and within a week, they both died. It was not from starving, because we also gave them hay and greens, so I think the bag had something terrible in it. I had fed the same brand for three years, never a problem until that bag. I will never make the mistake of thinking I should not waste food again.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'd take it back to the feed store for an exchange.

1 person likes this.
  6. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    I did exactly this. I get feed from Tractor Supply and they exchanged it no questions asked. My birds are eating again. Yay!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Wow that's amazing. The feed must have been spoiled. They are so smart!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by