Crowing
11 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Georgia
1) What type of bird , age and weight.RIR 9 months
2) What is the behavior, exactly.good
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? about 1 hr
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.yes about the size of a 1/2 dollar no feathers just skin and blood
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.rooster and other hens
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.yes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. looks hard
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Cleaned the wound with peroxide dried off and put neosporin on it. Isolated her
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. My camera is broke Wound is by wing Look at 9.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use In cat cage for night with hay and water
I am rehoming 1 rooster tomorrow and seperating the other. I put vitamins in her water and gave her a scrambled egg. She ate the egg like she was starving and is continuesly drinking water like she is dehdrated. Have I done everything I can? When I walked in she had her head in between 2 blocks. I thought she was dead. I chased the rooster away and the hens. It was like they were trying to eat her alive. It was horrible. I picked her up quickly and ran her into the house and treated her.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are doing great! She may be drinking like that because the other chickens were not letting her drink. Does she have any food besides the egg? Shes probably hungry too if they were not letting her eat either. I hope she feels better!

I gave her chicken starter for tonight. For the protein. Tomorrow I will put her back on her regular food. Or is that wrong?

I recommend you keep her seperated til she heals. She is possibly in shock and definitely stressed. Continue with the neosporin treatment. Scrambled egg mixed in her feed is a good thing. Provide her with freshwater as well, she should recover nicely from her wounds. Just give her time with rest and relaxation. Dont reintroduce her with the others til she's completely healed, then introduce during the night when you return her to the coop.

Why would they act like they were trying to eat her alive. I am so sad about this. I feel like a bad mom right now. I keep thinking what did I do wrong?
hit.gif

Quote:
It's nothing you did wrong. Whenever there is ANYTHING wrong with a chicken, the others know it and "survival of the fittest" mode kicks in. It's natures way of getting rid of the weak, injured and sickly, the strongest survive and breed.

She is doing so much better. Her wound is healing up. We put her in with the 1 and 2 month olds. They are not hurting her and she is not hurting them. She can see her flock and she wants so bad back in with them. They can see her too and act like they want her back too. Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom