They went to the coop yesterday (horrible storm at night)

Egg Rookie 2010

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
North Idaho
Soooo tired today. The chickies went to the coop for the first time yesterday. Big unexpected storm hit at midnight. The huge screened sections were just covered with plastic (they did have a heat lamp) I hear the rain and wake up....pacing from the bed to the side window for hours watching to see if that plastic blew off or the light blew out. I couldnt have done much about it though, the brooder was just a big cardboard box which I tossed on the porch and it was soaked...I wouldnt have been able to get them into the house. In the morning the little things were huddled together in terror of the flapping plastic on the windows and part of the roofing BLEW OFF so there was a leak on one wall. I screwed plywood over those window screens today for safety so they wouldnt freeze if it blew off but you can still hear that stupid plastic making noise. Im more of a wreck than they are today. Hubby thinks Im a wacko. He said I didnt check on our newborns that much (duh they slept in my room) So is anyone else a ridiculous worried chicken parent? They are 5 weeks tomorrow.
61151_march6_002.jpg

61151_march6_014.jpg

Pretty pics! And.. well I gotta story.. hehe. So I was on here and it was night and All the sudden I heard gun shots (I don't know why) and I was like OH MY GOSH! Cause I thought someone might have been terrizing my chickens! Haha call me crazy... I just get worried sometimes too so your not alone
wink.png
smile.png

I can relate. The first night in the coop we had a big hailstorm. We actually got our house and shed re-roofed and insurance would have paid to reroof the coop as well but I didn't want to "upset the chicks".
roll.png

Haha, I also get worried when There's HUGE and I mean ear-drum blowing crackles of thunder and I would think... Oh I hope they are safe, and stuff like that. Lol

Every single "first night outside" makes me nuts. I have raised several hatches/batches of chicks and even putting them outside in a huge brooder with heat lamps and all that stuff made me nuts the first night. But when they are off the supplemental heat and I put them out in their grow out coop(s), I have trouble sleeping. I imagine THAT'S the night predators will decimate the flock, starting with the babies, if I don't keep an ear open to anything unusual. At least now I only check them a couple of times after dark.... But I still worry. And that's with perfectly calm weather!

Well they all seem happy today! They still love me so it's all good. One of the boys was attempting to crow today...or else he was injured or something. What a crazy noise!

Back
Top Bottom