They were 'booted' from brooder today. *pics* <Sad Update>

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fshinggrl, Jun 8, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have 11 Chicks who are about 6.5 - 8 weeks old. 1 barred rock, 2 welsummer cockerels, 1 midget welsummer pullet, 2 light brahmas, 2 columbian wyandottes & 3 Easter Eggers. Everyone should be a pullet except for the two welsummers I hatched. One of the EE's could be a cockerel, but so far nothing screams male. Here is a picture of them (can't see all of them) after I put them out in the hen house.
    [​IMG]
    I have one welsummer chick (presumed pullet) who has just never grown. [​IMG] I feel bad for her, but she seems to get along with the rest of the chicks. I thought about putting her in with my 3 week old welsummer pullets, but since she gets along with her group, I left her with them. Here she is with one of her hatchmates. Remember, they are about 6.5 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    I'll leave them in the hen house for a few days to 'tell' them where home is. By then the outside coop will be done and they can be released. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    The wellsummer is such a lil cutie, looks like her feathers are too big for her body.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They certainly don't look too upset about getting the boot [​IMG] Very nice looking little group [​IMG] Hope your one little wellie grows up healthy...

4. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Well, I just went out and checked on them before bed. They did not notice me out the window. They were all just walking around, or laying down, drinking or eating. It did not seem to stress them out at all, which is excellent. [​IMG] I have a heat lamp still on.. it is going to be a chilly night out.

5. fshinggrl

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My little misfit Wellie died last night. I think something was internally wrong and she lived 7 weeks exactly. Yesterday I noticed she was not running away from me like normal. Poor girl.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    ah, so sorry...I had a baby bantam die on me at just a few days...sooo tiny...sometimes "chicks just die" as my hubby put it. She was obviously not 'right'...

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm sorry you lost one of your babies. Sometimes something just isn't right. [​IMG]

9. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I'm so sorry about your little one.

10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Yes, so sorry. This is nature, and when you are close to nature you see things that sometimes people don't want to see. Some seeds don't take. Some trees don't grow. Some eggs don't hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by