They won't come in out of the rain!

cmcmanus

Hatching
May 17, 2016
This is my first attempt at raising chicks and looking forward to the eggs! Built our coop using part of an existing shed/barn. Haven't finished the outside area yet so we butted up an 8 x 12 hot house to the coop so they can roam outside, converting some of the panels to chicken wire. They roam the yard when we are home.

So here is my dilema. Came home the other afternoon to find all 6 of our girls huddled together outside in the pouring rain! Oh my! Is it true they are not very smart and didn't realize they could walk a few feet to get into the barn where it is warm and dry? I was horrified and now have a concern for this winter. How do I encourage them to come in out of the rain??

This is my first attempt at raising chicks and looking forward to the eggs! Built our coop using part of an existing shed/barn. Haven't finished the outside area yet so we butted up an 8 x 12 hot house to the coop so they can roam outside, converting some of the panels to chicken wire. They roam the yard when we are home. So here is my dilema. Came home the other afternoon to find all 6 of our girls huddled together outside in the pouring rain! Oh my! Is it true they are not very smart and didn't realize they could walk a few feet to get into the barn where it is warm and dry? I was horrified and now have a concern for this winter. How do I encourage them to come in out of the rain??
:welcome I wouldn't worry about it. Mine stand out in the rain all the time. They rarely go out in snow

Rain wont hurt them...if you really want them to go in, try putting some food or fresh vegetables in there.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - I think chickens enjoy that "drowned rat" look - i know mine certainly do! Nothing to worry about.

Best wishes
CT

Back
Top Bottom