1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They're a week early

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gldnbear93, Mar 2, 2012.

1. gldnbear93

gldnbear93 New Egg

Jan 2, 2012
    I was at my desk at work yesterday morning and my cell phone rings with a number I don't recognize. I pick up and it's a guy from the post office calling about a shipment of chickens.

Hmmmm they are not supossed to be here till next week and the hatchery did not email me to let me know they were on the way. I'm a liuttle concerned since we just had a storm come through the northeast and who knwos how long those chicks were in the mail, plus my wife had texted me warlier that the power had gone out! Luckily I had the brooder and supplies almost ready, just not set up. I told the postmanI would be right down. I race out the door and call my wife to ask if the power was back on (thankfully it was) and told her what to set up in the brooder.

I get the post office and they don't open til 930. I bang on the door and the lady at the counter looks up then goes back to her business. I bang again and yell taht I just got a call to pick up a package. She comes around to the side door and I tell her I'm here for my chicks. She closes the door and goes back to get them. All of a sudden, I hear some LOUD peeping, she opens the dutch door and there's the loud box. What a relief, they sound strong. I pop open the box and all ten of them are bouncing and peeping and raising a ruckus.

I get them, home and into the brooder and they are doing very well. Eating, drinking, pooping, running, pecking, and sleeping.

I can't seem to get a decent photo, but we have three barred rocks, two black Austrolorpes, two Buff Orpingtons, two Easter Eggers (one looks just like a chipmunk and is now named Miss. Chitters), and a sweet little Cochin.

We'll be keeping one of each with the others going to a friend who is adding to her flock (but I can already see the chicken math starting).

Thanks BYC for all the info and the enabling.

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Have you found out from the hatchery why your order was sent a week early and why the hatchery did not notify you that they had shipped your order?

3. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    :::sigh::: that chicken math is dangerous.

When I finally agreed to my husband's suggestion on raising chickens, I thought 4 would be good. Then I thought 6 would be a healthy number. So I ordered 8 thinking if we lose 2 we still have the 6 we wanted. All 8 made it so I ran out and got 6 more. :p

Granted we are looking to move one on because it is a rooster, we will probably keep the 13.

I have never heard of an early delivery!! COOL!

And it's good that you were at least almost ready. I would not have been ready a week ealry. a few days, yes, a week? Nope.

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Luckily you were almost ready and you were available to receive them. If a hatchery ships early the run the risk of the person being on vacation, or on a business trip, or who knows what.

That chicken math can get you. We started out 3 years ago thinking we would get 10 - 12 birds. The second spring came along and we set up a second coop! We had 34 birds for the last couple of years. We have lost a few birds recently which drops us to our current 27. I am going to the out some of the older birds to drop my flock down to 20. I will then have room to add 18 - 20 new birds next month. I am going to finish up a run expansion this weekend. 38 - 40 birds is quite a bit different than the 10 - 12 we originally planned.

5. gldnbear93

gldnbear93 New Egg

Jan 2, 2012
    I just got back from a cub scout camping trip (one other reason I ordered for next week-I knew I would be gone this past weekend). The wife and other kids took care of them, a couple got some pasty butt so the wife spent some time cleaning them. They seem fine and all have a great deal of eneregy. Their wings are already filling in after just a couple of days.

The Chipmunk Easter Egger has been renamed Chip. On Friday a woman at work offered to seel me her heated waterer, 4 hen coop and some other supplies for a good price. Chicken math is now even harder to deny. I'm in a suburban subdivision so I can't let it get too out of hand though, But I do want my SLW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by