They're at it again!

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Title says it all!
I went out to feed and water the flock and found the little ones on an adventure!

20190917_095308.jpg

20190917_094508.jpg

They all came back to the pen when they saw the feed, but it was still fun to see them explore!

How old are they? I started off with 18 keets this June. It is now September and I’m down to 9 :,( I thought it was a hawk who got them since I kept seeing hawks around and one time a hawk did get one, but turns out it was my dog!! He won’t mess with my grown chickens, but he does have an appetite for chicks and teenage keets/guineafowl. I have since put em in a run and will only let them free range when I know they’re full grown.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I've got young pullets and cockerels, but there's a tag-along mutt hanging around here; he's mighty sneaky-looking. I don't trust him one bit. I've called animal control and the police, as instructed by the health department, but to no avail. If one more of my babies gets eaten I WILL be responsible for my actions.

My dog is a strictly outside dog. Doesn’t dare step foot indoors. He used to be a mostly indoors dog and would only go outside for walks til he experienced the great outdoors and has been wild for 3 years now. He hunts his own food and sometimes gets treats from us. He’s fat so I know he’s well fed. I just didn’t think he would eat my keets since he’s done so well at not messing with my chickens.

I did lose one chicken to a stray last year. My rooster must have scared him off because he just left her dead. He yanked off a big chunk of flesh off her back so my husband reassured me it was a quick death. She was my favorite back then. Definitely don’t take chances with a stray!

How old are they? I started off with 18 keets this June. It is now September and I’m down to 9 :,( I thought it was a hawk who got them since I kept seeing hawks around and one time a hawk did get one, but turns out it was my dog!! He won’t mess with my grown chickens, but he does have an appetite for chicks and teenage keets/guineafowl. I have since put em in a run and will only let them free range when I know they’re full grown.
I am so sorry for your loss! It's always hard to handle.
I have two adult guineas that I've had for years. And my newest ones (in the pictures) were brought home as day-old keets on June 28th. From the brooder, they went to a fully enclosed run as a temple home. They're only been allowed out to the open pen for the past few days, and they are just large enough that my cats don't bother them.

Yeah I’ve had mine as keets, hatched on June 3rd I think. They started free ranging just about the same time you let yours in terms of age.

It was sad. More sad when we actually saw three dead ones scattered. At first I thought my dog had accidentally broken their neck playing with them, but later that day we saw him eating one. I have toddlers so I couldn’t pick them up from the ground when I first saw them. Then I figured I might as well let my dog eat them so they can have a purpose than simply burying them.

I will wait until they are full grown before deciding if I want more. I’m curious as to when they’ll be making their ruckus 24/7. We’ve heard the noises they make now and both my husband and I like them, but they don’t do it often nor as long as I’ve heard people describe. So I’m preparing for the worst lol

Yeah I’ve had mine as keets, hatched on June 3rd I think. They started free ranging just about the same time you let yours in terms of age.

It was sad. More sad when we actually saw three dead ones scattered. At first I thought my dog had accidentally broken their neck playing with them, but later that day we saw him eating one. I have toddlers so I couldn’t pick them up from the ground when I first saw them. Then I figured I might as well let my dog eat them so they can have a purpose than simply burying them.

I will wait until they are full grown before deciding if I want more. I’m curious as to when they’ll be making their ruckus 24/7. We’ve heard the noises they make now and both my husband and I like them, but they don’t do it often nor as long as I’ve heard people describe. So I’m preparing for the worst lol
I understand what you mean about your dog and your guineas. It's unfortunate. The decision whether or not to get the body away from the dog is one to wrestle with, but you did right by the toddlers.

It's definitely smart to wait for them to grow before making any further decisions. As for noises- those are fun! Some people make it out to be worse than it is, and some people have really ornery birds. Mine aren't overly loud unless they are startled by something/someone strange or threatening. Usually they make these happy little chirrups/whistles.

I hope you enjoy your current flock, and what the future holds as well. Thank you for sharing your experience. If you have more you'd like to share, I'd be happy to read.

Back
Top Bottom