They're Eating More Than They Produce! Help!!!

he.gif

Nice, now we can move forward?
yesss.gif

I second this recommendation. I'm also fermenting feed and it does cut down on waste and - after a few weeks - they do seem to eat less.

Very good! Thank you for your insight. I'm going to the store to buy some apple cider vinegar later today to try this out.

OK... Now I am Hi-jacking... as I do not feel like spending a few hours on the FF thread... its darn near 200 pages. ANYWAY, I use flock-raiser... can I actually ferment the flock raiser?

As for food loss stopping... Get a five gallon paint bucket, a lid, and a meta pig feed pan that is bigger round than the five gallon bucket. Oh, and a flat head bolt and nut. Could use a rubber feed pan too... Drill 1.5 inch holes every four or 5 inches around the bottom of the bucket. Drill a hole for the screw through the bottom of the bucket and the metal pan, bolt together. Now, since the feeder pan should be about 4 inches deep, the bucket sits in that, the holes being on the bottom of the bucket, it lets the feed spill out just enough that the birds can fit their heads in to eat, but can not fit their feet in to scratch it out like they can with typical containers.

I have added a few days on to every bag of feed because I changed to this home made one. A nice $10 feeder. Might even keep mice out if there is a rodent problem with the metal sides.

I have 40 birds at the moment, they free range, but are eating more now that fall is here, bugs are deeper in the ground. As they layers start slowing also, I have upped the protein content on the feed. They are now on a 24% protein feed. I also have added cracked corn to the mix. They are getting 3/4 feed, 1/4 corn blend. They also get all the left over scraps, sometimes it is feast day when left overs are not enough to make a second meal, or my mom doesn't SEE it in the fridge for her lunch the next day. In the winter I will also grab up marked down produce from the store. Might be kinda icky for me but not for the birds. They always get fresh greens this way in the winter.

You could also start a meal worm farm to supplement their protein needs.

Back
Top Bottom