They're hatching 😆also I need hatchaholics to answer a question!

View attachment 2674685ok, the weird stuff is yellow with black and white goop strung through it. The duckling has the umbelical cord tucked underneath itself right now, it has made a yawning motion a couple of times but other than these weird things it's very alert and it's giving me the stink eye😂. Should I put a fresh-outa-the-dryer (not hot) wash rag underneath it?
Can you pick up the yellow thing and take a pic while holding it? You can just put some paper towels under him. If the towel is smooth you can do that too though.

That's the top of the shell with what looks like left over membrane. A lot of mine left behind membrane that had consistency of mucus. But all of them were fine. I even had a couple that hatched with the umbilical like that. It dried about two hours after my duckling was dried and floofed nicely. Just keep a look out on your duckling and make sure it doesn't start bleeding from the umbilical area.

That's the top of the shell with what looks like left over membrane. A lot of mine left behind membrane that had consistency of mucus. But all of them were fine. I even had a couple that hatched with the umbilical like that. It dried about two hours after my duckling was dried and floofed nicely. Just keep a look out on your duckling and make sure it doesn't start bleeding from the umbilical area.
Ok, I had been worried that the cord would be a breeding ground for bacteria and an easy way to bleed if it was ripped off.

Ok, I had been worried that the cord would be a breeding ground for bacteria and an easy way to bleed if it was ripped off.
I know some tie it off about half an inch away from the belly button so it dries faster and that way it's less risk from bacteria. But the two I had hatch like this ended up being fine. Then again, I put them in a fresh incubator to dry faster.

Can you pick up the yellow thing and take a pic while holding it? You can just put some paper towels under him. If the towel is smooth you can do that too though.
I will get a pic but it may take a minute, I've got a lot going on😅

Okay the Lil guy is on a paper towel and the funky stuff is on a paper towel in the picture below.
20210517_180041.jpg
I opened the incubator very briefly but we have other ducklings in there that have pipped, the temp and humidity are back up and it's only been a minute since I opened it, the other ducklings will be okay right? How long does it take for them to become shrink-wrapped?

Back
Top Bottom